Cable TV ruined hot rodding. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 07:51 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Cable TV ruined hot rodding?

Yea, that's what a good friend of mine told me today and I really have to say, maybe he's right. Remember how it was when you had to educate an otherwise curious admirer about your car? Remember when people asked questions about your engine instead of assuming? Well, back then, there were basically 4 ways that a person knew about hot rods. They read a book or magazine, they went to a show, they knew a person who had one or they had one themselves. So, the curious person was a treat. They didn't have a spoon fed opinion of what you were doing. They were genuinely interested because they knew what you had took a lot of time and energy to build.

Now, all anyone with cable has to do is hit the boob tube and catch one of the drama shows that are on. Now, you would think this is a good thing. How could a lot of exposure be harmful? Isn't it great to have the audience? Well, in some cases, yes. But in the long run it may have ruined things.

Maybe ruined is a bad word to use. Let's try, disillusioned. We are car people. We love to work on them, shine them and drive them. We take pride in having a do it yourself attitude about them. A lot of the fun of having a hot rod was that a lot of people didn't really know how much fun you were having. Yea, they saw you shining her up and working under the hood, but they never could figure out that smile you had. How could that guy be happy with all that grease and gunk on his hands? Or maybe they felt sorry for you because you were in your garage working way into the night. How could that be fun?

Then, along came cable television with the high drama, wheel spinning, $100,000 rides. Shops building cars in 6 weeks and employees throwing tools and yelling at each other. Big shiny engines, $5,000 wheel and tire combos and $10,000 paint jobs. To look at these shows, you'd have to think anyone that builds a hot rod has got to be nuts AND rich.

But how can this be bad? Well, with all the exposure came the half wits. The people who really thought you could build a car in 6 weeks. There seems to be people who think what we do is "just to be like that Boyd guy on TV." Yup, that's what I heard from a lady who worked in an office across the street. I pushed my T out to take some pics of my latest chrome goodies installed and the people across the street on smoke break came over to see what I was working on. I was talking to the mechanic who helped with my engine and who happened to walk over. He's the one who gave me the title of this thread. The first words from the mouth of one of the office guys was "Is that "thing" going to driven on the street?" Yea, my idiot alert went on full blast! So, I explained to him what "it" was. That is when the lady shot off her remark. It took a lot of holding back to not respond with what was on the tip of my tongue. Dad would have been proud. I spent about 30 minutes explaining what I was building, why it looked like it did and why it wasn't going to be done in a few more weeks. Yea, 30 minutes of "why". It felt good to do that and maybe they will get it. Maybe they won't.

So, the next time someone walks up and starts to ask stupid questions about you car, turn them on to what the heck is going on because cable TV isn't doing it. I'm all for sharing the love, but nobody should have to be confused with Boyd.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2007, 08:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I know just what your talking about.
im trying to sell my monte and i have this guy come by last week to look at it and he says you told me you had over 250 plus hrs of time and over $17,000 dollars spent on it.
and i said ya.
and he said well what did you spend it on all i see is a flat black paint job and a roll bar.so i start to tell him it has a fiberglass hood and trunk lid and front and rear bumpers and a fresh 454-4 spd and so on and he says ya so what makes you think its worth 12 grand.
i just looked at him and said if you had 17 plus grand into it wouldn't you want to get that much for it.
he said probably more but i didn't and you did and im not willing to pay that. and then i said oh well i guess your not buying it then.
but i see your point they watch this stuff on TV and think if its not painted a shinny color and every things not shinny and new it couldn't have that much time and money into it because i say them do a car on TV in two episodes
thats nicer then yours.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:

Though I get your point T, it matters little what other people think. Isn't it funny how much we think about what other people think.???

I've watched your project journal and you should be proud. Most of those folks don't know their butt from a hot rock. I passed a guy this morning who I've chatted with before about bucket builds. He runs an older T with 3 deuces and interesting suspension. Drives it everywhere. 400-500 miles a week. OK this is California. The paint could use a re-do and the upholstery is going but this guy couldn't care less.

Sorry to say but I use my truck for work. Every once in awhile my muncie will lock up for no good reason. (crappy Hurst linkage), I crawl under and flip the forward piece of linkage and move along. Yes, I will fix it someday, but usually there is someone standing around shaking their head,..... while I'm under there saying "man, it sure is pretty under here" !!!!

You just keep doing what you're doing and fear not, they will respect you when you roll "IT" out and will secretly wish they were you.!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:36 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Speedy, I'm stoked about my little build. It's just that I can't believe how many people have no idea what is going on and then, what they think they know is just a bunch of crap from a TV show. It's fun explaining to someone what I'm doing and why, if they have an open mind. What gets me are the people who have a false impression and opinion.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:

OK bubba, just remember, less than .5% of the vehicles on the road are pre 1970. Everyone's driving new stuff. 20 years ago you could find someone on your street who had something going in their garage. It's pretty rare now.

I'm not trying to run to the defense of these ignoramuses. All they know is what they see on TV. Shoot, I'd throw wrenches if they wanted me to get some of that stuff done in 3 weeks. They have to throw in the drama or it's just somebody building a nice hot rod. Jeeez, didn't mean to throw Chip in the "somebody" arena.

How many builds have you seen on sleaze-bay where 30k was invested but it's going for 20k. It's a labor of love most of the time. All told, time spent and gas and trips to the parts house and return shipping and etc......probably closer to 35-40k. Elca monty was right to say, well I guess you're not buying it then. That guy had no clue what had been invested.

Your mission on this planet freddie is to educate those lost TV souls and bring them to an understanding of the grandeur of hot-rod building. Go forth and educate these lost pilgrims.............who knows, they might get inspired to do something on their own????
Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Just wait till you get it done and on the road, then your really going to get an earfull! I've heard it all.

Where can you drive it?
What do you do when it rains?
Is that a 427?
Is that a 429?
You drove that from NY?
Where's your trailer?
That must do some wheelie!
Your car is hot!
Your car is sexy!
(notice in both intances the young women said "car" NOT "Your hot" or "Your sexy" )
How fast is it?
(I never know what that question means. Do they want top speed, 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, trap speed? )
Is the blower real?
Where's the alternator?
How much horsepower does it have?
That must be real loud (They didn't look to see the megaphones are blocked off)
Do you race it?
Who painted it?
Who did the flames?
And my all time favorite:
Is that a kit car?

So get ready with your standard responses to same questions everytime. My kids could probably stand and answer every question about my car because they have heard them asked a hundred times before and heard me babble on to answer every last one. But I guess thats what I like about it is meeting people and talking about my favorite hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5708.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	23828  
Old 08-28-2007, 09:51 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Arrowhead, that's a pretty accurate list of the repetitive comments and questions rodders hear time and time again. When I go to shows I often put a this note in the windshield of my '32 pickup. "No Kit, No Glass, No Trailer." Reduces a bit of the nonsense.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It`s sure true not many are doing it anymore. My cutlass was never really a good looker, except when you opened the hood, it looked nice under there. I was at a gas station, I had opened the hood so I could check the fluids and several guys walked up and I knew one of them somewhat, and he said "I know you didn`t do that" and I said "Yeah, I did" and you could read there faces and tell they didn`t believe me.
I`ve seen the TV shows and I think it`s a joke, none of them guys get there hands dirty, and there clothes look fresh and neat during the whole show. Here they are, doing all this work dressed in upscale duds and they never get a spec on them, yet you`ll see them wiping there hands with a rag like they just did a lot of work. I wish they would show me that trick on how to not get dirty. They also make it look so easy that people who just see it think it`s that easy, yet they don`t know the people on TV have pretty much pre fabbed work, it was already assembled by someone who worked with it and got it right, then it`s disassembled and laid out for them in a neat little pile. Those guys on TV have make me sick. To me it`s a insult to us, the real hot rodders who live in real reality, we put blood, sweat, tears, time, energy and money into our rods, and that is something to be proud of. Those guys on TV didn`t pay for nothing, didn`t put any effort into it, didn`t get dirty, never got frustrated over a part that wouldn`t fit because it`s pre fabbed, but they get paid to make it look like it`s glamourous. If they did a show with a real garage with real hot rodders who had real life, real frustrations, real money issues, coated in real grease, that would be worth watching as that`s real as it gets.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:40 AM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:

There have always been builders, buyers and gawkers. Right now although somewhat fading, cars (hot rods, muscle cars, rat rods,ricers, the whole ball of wax) are one of the hot things. In large part due to TV. I've been building for 40 years now and lived thru the high and lows the of the publics interest in cars.

There is always some self professed "expert" . You have 2 choices, ignore them.......or make them look like an idiot. Done both and decided it's just better to ignore them and chuckle as they walk to their everybody's got one boring-mobile in the parking lot (while I go home in the HEMI 4 speed Plymouth that I built from a $200 junk yard refugee).
Old 08-29-2007, 06:19 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957plymouthhemi

There is always some self professed "expert" . You have 2 choices, ignore them.......or make them look like an idiot. Done both and decided it's just better to ignore them and chuckle as they walk to their everybody's got one boring-mobile in the parking lot (while I go home in the HEMI 4 speed Plymouth that I built from a $200 junk yard refugee).
Exactly..................Maybe 1 ln 5 of these "experts" know anything. I tend just to nod that I appreciate their interest and thats about it. No sense starting an argument with some of these people.

Budget RVs
Old 08-29-2007, 06:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
Just wait till you get it done and on the road, then your really going to get an earfull! I've heard it all.

Where can you drive it?
What do you do when it rains?
Is that a 427?
Is that a 429?
You drove that from NY?
Where's your trailer?
That must do some wheelie!
Your car is hot!
Your car is sexy!
(notice in both intances the young women said "car" NOT "Your hot" or "Your sexy" )
How fast is it?
(I never know what that question means. Do they want top speed, 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, trap speed? )
Is the blower real?
Where's the alternator?
How much horsepower does it have?
That must be real loud (They didn't look to see the megaphones are blocked off)
Do you race it?
Who painted it?
Who did the flames?
And my all time favorite:
Is that a kit car?

So get ready with your standard responses to same questions everytime. My kids could probably stand and answer every question about my car because they have heard them asked a hundred times before and heard me babble on to answer every last one. But I guess thats what I like about it is meeting people and talking about my favorite hobby.
Hahaha, same questions all the time. I give them my standard answers.
Fastest it has gone 207
Horsepower 1153
1/4 mile 7.53
When it rains I get wet
Old 08-29-2007, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

cable tv.....

What do ya suppose brings some of these (car experts) to rod shows, swap meets, etc? Is it just to look at something shiny? I agree with Poncho, for the most part the general public has little clue of the time and effort and the money that goes into rod building. I can remember building my first rod in 1960 there wasn't any super- mega parts suppliers. Ya had to scrounge the salvage yards, or other rodders for left over parts.
Just my .02 cents worth.

Last edited by resto1944; 08-29-2007 at 07:01 AM. Reason: a case of the duh's
Old 08-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Running on empty

Last journal entry: More pics
Last photo:

I solved the question deal by making a build sheet with all the info on parts and such, that seemed to stop a lot of questions, it gets read alot. The other thing I do is get away from my truck, it's not that I'm unfriendly,its just that you get the same questions over and over and that gets old.
Arrowhead and I sometimes go to the same shows and I hear all the questions and remarks that he listed. Arrowhead has build a nice car and it draws alot of attention because of the engine, when he tells people what it is they are a little dumb founded.
As far as tfeverfreds post, I think he's right on the money, these tv shows are a double edged sword, with more harm than good. Yes they make more people aware of our hobby, but I believe they give the people a false impression of the true hobbist and all the hard work that goes in to building a car. When I tell people that it took me four years to build my truck, the reaction that I get most of the time is related to the tv shows and how quick they build them. Don't get me wrong, I believe we need these shows, just look at the spectator attendance at the next show you go to or put on, I believe they come out to these shows due in part to them seeing hot rods on tv, I could be wrong, but I know that in our area the shows always draw a lot of people. Well, I've said enough, I,m out breath from typing so much. Arrowhead heres a couple pics for ya.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arrow2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	23833   Click image for larger version

Name:	arrow 1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	23834  
Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Exactly..................Maybe 1 ln 5 of these "experts" know anything. I tend just to nod that I appreciate their interest and thats about it. No sense starting an argument with some of these people.

yep...ancient chineese saying.
"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level & beat you with experience"

I love it when they show the closeups of whoever is doing an isntallation, and you see manicured fingernails. Dont know how they do it, but looking at my hands at any given time, you can see cuts, scrapes, and the odd scar or two
Old 08-29-2007, 08:14 AM
...it floats my boat...

My dilema....

How do I modify my car with my likes without being compared to a "Foose" or "Boyd"....? "Hey that reminds me of this "Boydster", Foose did something like that on his car..." All props to Chip and Boyd for what they have done, but the "pioneering" into a new field has to get old sometime....I stopped watching "American Hot Rod", and "OverHaulin' " as soon as they started bringing in celebrities to make cars for them or for their little brother, or best friend, They have their own money to do this with, why take away from an average joe (an OldsmobileJo) that could have his car done-up?...Someone like me who would appreciate it much more... not just add it to the garage full of cars they already own....

It's amazing what someone can do with corporate sponsorship - I'd be on the cutting edge too, if I could only get my ideas in the mainstream....

Who ever elected shaved muscle cars with huge chrome wheels and boom-boom stereos to the head of the class?... I never received a ballot... personally, I would have voted against them.
I think G-Machines made from 60's and 70's era muscle cars are ugly - that's not what they were destined for,... but, I do concede that forward progress is inevitable - these are just my opinions,...
Please don't be offended if you own one, or two, or three of these cars (as is usually the case)... I cannot afford to build my own car, let alone a lengthy court battle because I have offended someone's car, or damaged the "street cred" they have "bought" (not fought) so hard for...

Chip, Boyd,...give it a rest,....

I'm sure that they will soon fall away and find their own quiet corner, the same as the "Fast and Furious" cars have,...although with the "F & F" cars, I do enjoy seeing the crash videos on Google, You Tube and other video websites,
...ever see a 69 GTO go "drifting" around a corner and trash his wheels over-correcting the slide into a curb? ....nope,...just two snaking rubber stripes from the stop sign, though the intersection until the next stop sign made him apply his brakes two blocks away...posi, the smell of disintegrating tire, ahhh, the good ol days....

...and I'm out...

OldsmobileJo

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.