Hot Rod Forum banner

CAD program

897 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  BBCMudbogger 
#1 ·
OK, this is not rodding related, but I must share. I have been involved with computer aided design work for almost 25 years. I have been using all the versions of Intergraph Microstation (Now Bentley Microstation) since it's inception about 1981. My work consisted mainly of electrical/instrumentation design with a spattering of scaled design work and a little 3D. I have used Microstation to do some house plans for myself and friends. While Microstation is far easier to do house plans than a traditional drawing board, it is a chore none the less. I was recently informed of a house plans program called Chief Architech. This program completely blew me away with how easy it is to draw house plans. Rather than me trying to explaing how easy this program works I would like to direct any interested person to their web site for an animated tour.

Disclaimer: I have no financial or business connections with this company or the program. I am just amayzed at how these CAD programs are evolving and wanted to give anyone who may be interested a look if they have not already heard of it.

Enjoy
Vince

#3 ·
classicautoresto said:
I have always used Turbo Cad which has 3D floor plan. It has always been easy to navigate, and it keeps up a materials list for you as you go. Jerry
Chief does all that and a ton more, take the tour. It is a bit pricey though, as it is aimed at the high end architech.

Vince

#5 ·
classicautoresto said:
I am more of a "hobby" architect (Stress relief :D ). Plus the Turbo Cad was free (normally $159.99 ) each year to me at my old job. Jerry
I completely understand that is what I am going to do when I retire in Feb :D . I just floors me what current CAD programs are capable of though.

Vince

#6 ·
I have not worked with chief architect or ArchiCAD as of yet. I am working with AutoDESK architecture 2008 at the moment. How different or similar are they?

The local architect in town is using archiCAD. It is very powerful and not limited to 15 floors like I was told that chief architect was (don't know if that is true).

I also work with AutoCAD, and Inventor (both 2008). I am wanting to get ahold of solidworks, but don't have access to it through work yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.