Hot Rod Forum banner

Caddilac Nothstar Engines. Will it work in My 48 Chevy 3100 PU?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  smallblocker2 
#1 ·
:D Hi Everybody
I am starting my new project. I am restoring a 48 Chevy 5 window 3100 PU. I would like to place a newer caddilac northstar engine in it. Transmission I was thinking about is a 700 r4. Has anybody done this? Will it work in a standard engine cradle? Not worried about wiring !can do that.

I figured that would be one sweet looking engine compartment. How bout the speed and torque?

Thanks for your help
Tom

#2 ·
The Northstar is a pain in the a** to install. You will need to fabricate your own mounts. I think the worst part is that the water pump is in the rear and runs off one of the cams and it takes up a lot of room in the back of the motor. (extra firewall clearance) A trans from a 2.8 or 3.4 v-6 will fit except one bell housing bolt.
Bob

#3 ·
I was also looking to do this swap in my other S10, I was wondering if the crankshaft bolt pattern was the same as the 2.5/2.8l to fit a flywheel, or can the 700r4 in my truck be built to take the 330 hp, Does the starter bolt to the block or trans? Sorry to jump in, I'm just curious about this swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.