Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Caddy build??
Thread: Caddy build??
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT View Post
Take into consideration that this engine was built for reliabilty and decent street manners in a glass '32 Ford Victoria....hence keeping it at 8.7 compression so it can run on 87 if need be. We ran 89 during the dyno pulls and it purred like a TIGER.

The carb is a stock 780 Quick Fuel Technologies elec. choke/vac. secs. that came with 72/84 jets. After a couple of pulls we found it to be a little fat so we installed 70/82 jets and it ran better, still a wee bit fat but thats ok, don't want to lean it out too much. the timing started at a recommended 36 deg. but we ended up with peak power at 30 degs. and it started a lot easier.

As far as money to build it, I could have gotten away a lot cheaper with stock rods, valve train and an Edelbrock 2115 intake.....but if I wanted to twist it a bit I needed better parts. The shaft mounted roller rockers were $475, the intake was $450 and the new PEP forged rods w/ ARP cap screw bolts were a deal at $220 but I ground and polished the beams and even being that they were new I still had them mag'd, rebuilt and shot peened for $125....now I know they will be plenty strong. All together I have about $6700 in the engine including the orig. cost. For the kind of reliable low rpm power it developes I think it's very reasonable price to pay....and it's not a crate motor, I built it myself, VERY satisfying.

Here's a few pics during the build and then resting comfortably back in the chassis after the dyno session.
May the Gods of Hot Rodding provide you and your Caddy sunshine for all the days of your life. You Sir,are what makes Hot Rodding what it is.