Hot Rod Forum banner

Caddy build??

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Valkyrie5.7 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
There was a time when guys where using the 500 ci Caddy engines.It is a easy 600lbs of torque,but really couldn't rev much above 4,000 rpm without spending serious money on the heads/valve train.

Popular American V8 Engine Dimensions

See less See more
#3 ·
I wouldn't say "easy 600", some folks take advertised hp and torque claims waaaaay too literally. The factory ratings for the 68-70 472/500 were 375-400 hp and 525-550 torque when in fact most Cadillac performance experts will tell you that these ratings were grosley overrated.

I just dyno'd my BUILT 507" Cadillac, forged rods w/ ARP cap screw bolts, ported large valve heads...but still 8.7:1 comp., 230/238 dur. 540 lift cam, single plain intake/780 QFT carb, shaft mounted roller rockers....blah blah.

It made 535 ft. lbs @ 4300 and 466 hp @ 5000. I was very pleased with the results for the 8.7 comp. ratio and it made huge amounts of torque right off idle. Here's a few pics, the red line on chart is the torque curve....which really doesn't curve:D

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Take into consideration that this engine was built for reliabilty and decent street manners in a glass '32 Ford Victoria....hence keeping it at 8.7 compression so it can run on 87 if need be. We ran 89 during the dyno pulls and it purred like a TIGER.

The carb is a stock 780 Quick Fuel Technologies elec. choke/vac. secs. that came with 72/84 jets. After a couple of pulls we found it to be a little fat so we installed 70/82 jets and it ran better, still a wee bit fat but thats ok, don't want to lean it out too much. the timing started at a recommended 36 deg. but we ended up with peak power at 30 degs. and it started a lot easier.

As far as money to build it, I could have gotten away a lot cheaper with stock rods, valve train and an Edelbrock 2115 intake.....but if I wanted to twist it a bit I needed better parts. The shaft mounted roller rockers were $475, the intake was $450 and the new PEP forged rods w/ ARP cap screw bolts were a deal at $220 but I ground and polished the beams and even being that they were new I still had them mag'd, rebuilt and shot peened for $125....now I know they will be plenty strong. All together I have about $6700 in the engine including the orig. cost. For the kind of reliable low rpm power it developes I think it's very reasonable price to pay....and it's not a crate motor, I built it myself, VERY satisfying.

Here's a few pics during the build and then resting comfortably back in the chassis after the dyno session.

Attachments

#9 ·
Nice and flat like a table is something i wish i could build. if i had that oppurtunity, id forget about the sbc! maybe one day i will. nice color, that white block is unique, makes it stand out as clean and developed as to a virgin hotrodders eyes. Could you let me see the link to your ford victoria build?

#8 ·
I have no clue which spring is in there, I'll have to wait till I get it on the road to see how the secondaries come in, which won't be very often. The dyno showed 10" of vac. @ 850 rpm and 14" @ 2000. Should work my power brakes just fine. The car will only weigh about 2800 lbs, has 4 piston Wilwood's on the front and Explorer disc's on the rear.

#11 ·
UHHHH it's not white, the color is called Cummins Beige, actually light tan. I've got 2 extra sets of 9" gears, a 2.75 and a 3.00 which I think I will use first. With the th400 and a 29.5" tire the calculator shows the rpm of 2433 @ 70 mph, the 2.75's would be 2200. Some of the Cadillac forum "experts" think the engine would be happy at the 2433 mark. Hard to tell, I really think it would pull the 2.75's in this light car just fine.

#15 ·
caddy torque

I have a stock 472 on my saw mill, A friends Dad always ran caddy engines on his Mills , and said the best low cost engine for cutting logs, won't bog when you hit a hard spot in hardwood logs. It did get a good workout when cutting some big western junipers a couple years ago.

#17 ·
Just think. theyve already put one of these 500 CIs in a chevette.. crazy but the length of an inline motor will always be longer than a v8. but they did have some clearancing to do between the electric fan and the engine. i seen the engine bay of the 1983 AMC concourd with an inline six. The thought then hit me, not only did they make the engine bay long but there was plenty of daylight between fenders. good sized engine could hide pretty well and make it the a true sleeper.

#18 ·
The Hot Rod TV show is a re-run and yes that engine did rattle the dyno pretty well.....but the guys at MTS , due to show sponsor "issues" had to run different (weaker) valve springs and a carb that wasn't built specifically for that engine. Later dyno tests with the good parts netted....if I remember something like 604 hp and 624 torque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.