Cadillac 425: Boat anchor? Future Performer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006, 06:18 PM
No officer I won’t do it again

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cadillac 425: Boat anchor? Future Performer?

I have a 77-79 Cadillac 425. I need to make a decision. Pitch it? Or keep it for future use. I have no knowledge or experience with this engine at all. I have snooped around on the net and found a lot of info about the 472 and 500 but very little on the 425. I was hoping someone could give me some info on this engine. Do they make a decent rod motor or are they just a waste of money and time? I am pretty sure they didn’t put out much in stock form but I am wondering if it would be worth saving for a build up. I have enough junk lying around the way it is. If you know anything about it please let me know so I can store it properly or just get rid of it. Thank you …Troy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Had a '78 Cadillac demo car years ago with the 425. It didn't like to get hot and would shut off as soon as it did but when it was running we could "bulldoze" anybody out there and after it cooled off a little it would fire right back up. A couple guys got up against us and tried to push us out of bounds, we just shoved them back across the track. The thing had great torque. A lot of the goodies for the 472-500's will also fit the 425, I'd hang on to it.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

It can be a GREAT performer. Several aftermarket companies specialize in Caddy engines. I have a Caddy 500 that makes 500 hp all before 5000 rpms.

http://www.cad500parts.com/
http://www.500cid.com/

Those are two great parts resources! Here are a couple forums.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/500-472-425-368/
http://www.cowboyseven.us/forum/
http://forums.500cid.com/index.php?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:19 AM

Last photo:

Depending on what you're putting it into, it could be an interesting motor.

The 425 is supposedly significantly lighter than the 472/500. From what I read, extra material that wasn't required for the 425 (but would have been required for a 472/500) was removed from the casting, making it supposedly comparable to the weight of a SBC.

These engines last forever in their designed RPM range, but are designed for low-end torque. From what I've read, the stock heads are pretty restrictive and the valvetrain insufficient if you want to push anything over 4500-5000 rpms.

That said, there are aftermarket solutions (links above), but since the block isn't an SBC, they are a bit more expensive.

So, it probably would work in a lot of applications, but maybe not so well in others, depending on what you want out of it.

I've thought about this engine now and again. I would probably get one of the hotter aftermarket cams and possibly invest in one of the less expensive valvetrain solutions, then maybe give it a very mild forced-induction system to help with the breathing. I'd end up with a reasonably lightweight high-torque engine that was very reliable and was definitely out-of-the-ordinary.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckucia
The 425 is supposedly significantly lighter than the 472/500. From what I read, extra material that wasn't required for the 425 (but would have been required for a 472/500) was removed from the casting, making it supposedly comparable to the weight of a SBC..
Actually, the 500 with an aluminum intake is only a few lbs heavier than an SBC with an iron intake. Engine weights listed at the site below. They don't list the 425, but the block is a different casting from the 472/500. Interesting reading anyway

http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html
Old 04-10-2006, 11:19 AM

Use the block and stroke it if you can. I think you can get a stroker kit to 529cid. The thing would be bad.

Carl
Old 04-10-2006, 09:46 PM
No officer I won’t do it again

Last photo:

Great info. Thank you all. I will be keeping it.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedwrench
I have snooped around on the net and found a lot of info about the 472 and 500 but very little on the 425.
We just put together a custom search engine for searching hotrodding forums. You can search the three Cadillac forums that curtis73 mentioned, all at once. Try a search for "425". Here's a link to the search form: Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM

425 Boat Anchor, or future performer?

I've been working with Caddy 425's for over 21 years & I think that they are an
excellent engine for most anything other than "all-out" drag racing performance
use. Then. even in that case, it depends on the size of the vehicle it's in. Aguy who just moved from Arizona to Porto Rico had a '79 Chevy Monza racer that was powered by a 425 Caddy that performed well for him. He only sold the car
because he moved out of the Country. I also read where another guy who lives in Alabama had a '52 Chevy Coupe that was powered by a 425 Caddy engine &
had a t.h.200/4R overdrive tranny in it. That car was sold for $10K because he
(& I) got "bashed" for mentioning those on another web site. I'm still going to do
what I have planned with one of the 425 Caddy engines I have, just to "show
'em" that it can be done. They do only weigh about the same as a small block
Chevy engine & are very close to the same torque as the '75 & '76 500's after
those got "power reduced" to meet the government's requirements on fuel economy. For those old enough to remember, that's just after the Arab oil embargo of 1974.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

This thread is 7 years old.
However, We've got a 78 Caddy 425 with low miles on it that runs great.
Had it for sale for seven months for $500 and haven't got the first call on it yet.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Wow this one is back from the dead.

AFA whether the 425 is worth it, it may not be as big as a 472 or 500, but it's a long ways away from a 350. It has an aftermarket and it's over 400 cubes, so it's fair game to build up and lay waste to all the guys down at the track. Save your pennies for decent heads and cram it into the lightest thing you can find. Hotrodding 101.

DV, it is super hard to get rid of the non-chevy stuff nowadays. I had guys jumping out of the woodwork when I put my 350 chevy up on craigslist to trade for an Olds. Got the pick of the litter because of it and ended up with a pretty hot 455 out of a boat. He ended up with a 4 bolt 350 with 991 heads off a 307. It was a dog of a motor, but he wanted a good 350 (which it was), and they're money around here if you don't know anyone.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I know exactly what you mean Valk. About 2 years ago my nephew and I got a flat bed chevy truck with a sweet running 305. We put it up for sale for $400 and it sold in a week. I put several 350's up for sale and they too sold quickly. However the shocker came when my nephew landed a ford F150 with a strong running 302. He's had it up for sale for $400 for over a year and half and has had 1 call on it. The guy called and said he wanted it bad and needed it asap. The day he was coming to pick it up a strong storm blew in and a tree fell on the truck the engine was going into, talk about bad luck.
But overall, yeah, it seems now more than ever if it's not a Chevy motor nobody wants it. Maybe we'll hold on to the Caddy motor for some type of project that will be a mud play thing.
We dropped a 350 into my nephew's 89 Ford Ranger 4x4. When twisted minds come up with something like that, no telling what we'll come up with in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleVision For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (04-25-2013)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.