CADILLAC CONVERTER removel?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2002, 06:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post CADILLAC CONVERTER removel??

I can't remember if i asked this question already but if you guys can help me answer it again i would appreshiate it.

WHAT I OWN

90 ranger 2wd short box and no extended cab

WHAT ENGINE

2.9L and with a manual transmittion

WHAT I PLAN TO DO

remove the cadillac converter

So yeah i know it is illegal but they never check so i am guessing no one will really miss it anyway. and if anyone wonders what state i live in it is minnesota.
My question is will it effect the engine in any way? I have heard both sides. "you need it because the enigne needs the back pressure" and then i heard "you don't really need it and removing it will probably make your engine run better" so now i am getting peoples opinions here. just for your information the oxygen sensor is in front of the converter also. Also i am planning to put a new muffler so the truck SOUNDS (because it doesn't really have a sound now) on so anyone have a good brand for under $50?

thanks for your time!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2002, 07:22 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I would remove it, hollow it out, put it back on. while it is true some back pressure is needed, but hollowing it out will likely give you better miliage as well as pick up some power. just make sure you disconnect the battery before doing this, and reconnect it after you finish, so your sensors can sense lower back pressure and richen up the mixture. as for a muffler, i`d say get a Jegs or a Summit and pick you one, they have many excellant designs.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:28 PM

I KNOW PEOPLE WHO REMOVE THERE CATALYTIC CONVERTER AND SAY THEY HAVE MORE POWER AND RUNS SMOOTHER BUT I DONT KNOW BECAUSEI HAVE NO EMISSIONS ON MY CAR EXCEPT A PCV VALVE,NO CHARCOIL CANISTER,CATALYTIC CONVERTER,EGR VALVE,OXYGEN SENSOR.JUST GAS AND FIRE AND RAW EMISSION OUT THE MUFFLER KILLING ALL THE WORLDS CREATURES BUT IT RUNS GREAT
Old 11-14-2002, 07:42 PM

Talking

The catalytic converter is a big glow plug that burns the unburned hydrocarbins. Living in MN., you've seen a hand warmer that burns lighter fluid. The Cat has a screen similar to that Lose it and your engine will run better. If your O2 senser doesn't adjust correctly, here is a site that may help.
. <a href="http://www.casperselectronics.com/" target="_blank">http://www.casperselectronics.com/</a> .
Old 11-15-2002, 07:25 AM
At a loss for words

I would imagine that you also have a factory resonator located after the catalytic convertor. I would remove that along with the cat. and add an aftermarket muffler. You may also want to check into the "high flow" cats that CatCo sells through <a href="http://www.summitracing.com" target="_blank">Summit</a>.
What will probably happen is you will notice a slight loss in power on the low end due to the decrease in backpressure (although it will probably be minimal if you keep stock sized piping). Where you will gain the power is on the upper end.
If Ford's systems are similar to GM's, you will still have OBD-I diagnostics on your truck. Like you said, the O2 sensor is before the cat., so you probably won't have any issues with the wrong computer readings.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.