Cadillac engine build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 03:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cadillac engine build

Just purchased a 62 Chevy II that needs to be completed.

For now, my question is about the engine I want to build for this car, a Cadillac 472.

Looking for build advice, hopefully from those who have done it. Already know about MTS.

I am looking for a hot street motor in a 2600 lb car, will be running a TH400 tranny and an 8.75 rear. If possible, I would like about 400-425 HP with the monster torque that these Caddy engines are supposed to be capable of.

Another question: Can the Cadillac handle a small (100) shot of nitrous with a stock shortblock?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 06:49 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
Well if you want 400hp & 500lb ft tq, without doing anything just get a 70 500Ci caddy engine that's the specs for the carbed engine, & if that's not enough there's stroker cranks for 529 & 540Ci.
Rich
http://www.cadillachighperformance.com/Engines.html

Last edited by richard stewart 3rd; 09-03-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

The big inch Cad is a fantastic motor. Built my first Cad powered drag car in 1984.

My biggest thought or concern.......Would be if the darn thing will fit or not....... I think I would test fit a motor before I spent much money building one......The oil pan is going to be a nightmare....The rear drive cars used a mid sump pan that would be right in the cross member, and the Eldo used a rear sump pan that was way deep.

If you have a good running junk yard 472, it will make around 300HP in pure stock trim. You'll be shifting at 4200 and running mid 13's if you can get it to hook.

As far as squeeze goes.........I've ran stock 100k motors all season long with a 250 hit. Every now and then you would have one go Boom, but it didn't do it very often. RPM's would bust stuff, but Horse Power didn't.

Al is a great guy to deal with at MTS. Get one of his reground 15 series cams kits(Stock valve springs are done by 4500), an Edelbrock performer intake, top it off with a 750 carb, and add a set of 2" primary headers. Your now in the 400HP range and turning the motor to about 5400.

5500 is where bad things start happening to the stock rocker assemblies. Al sells a kit that uses a Buick shaft mount rocker setup. I used homemade adapter plates and 6cyl Chevy rockers, and later small block ford rollers on my motors.

The Cad also uses a cast rod. A forged 455 Olds rod can be used in its place. I think they are .015" shorter and need the small end reamed .009". The big end is the same and uses the same bearing as the Cad.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I dont think room will be an issue because this Chevy II will have a 2x3 frame with either a straight axle or a Pinto front end, no inner fenders. May set the engine back a few inches, not sure. Might have to fab an oil pan.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Probably have to fab a pan and headers, but it should fit. They fit in S10s, A/G bodies, and many other cars just fine.

They're pretty light, but you're right, they're behemoth size. I put a 500 in a 66 bonneville and it fit beautifully.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Hi,
Well if you want 400hp & 500lb ft tq, without doing anything just get a 70 500Ci caddy engine that's the specs for the carbed engine....
http://www.cadillachighperformance.com/Engines.html

That's not a wrong answer but it is very misleading. 1970's were rated in GROSS hp. 72 and up were rated NET. There is no direct mathematical formula for converting GROSS to NET so let's not go there. 1972 and up did have lower compression than 1970 but Steve Magnante noted a few years back in HRM that most will agree that the '72 has just as much POP as a '70.

If the HP numbers are not SAE net they don't mean squat
Old 09-05-2008, 05:18 PM

BTW Bluesman423, you're going to kill yourself with a Caddy in a 2600lb car

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.