Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadillac has been sitting 30+ years

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  matts37chev 
#1 ·
I'm going to look at a '69 Cadillac Sedan de Ville that a friend recently inherited. It's been sitting for a long time, probably 30 years or more, on pavement with a carport over it.

I'm assuming the fuel system and the brakes will need a thorough rehab, at a minimum. What sort of other problems should I look for? Anything that is specific to this model, or to GM vehicles of the same vintage?

My goal is to make it roadworthy as a weekend cruiser--I don't expect to do a full restoration or any radical surgery.

#3 ·
All brake and fuel lines are likely rotten, gas tank will need cleaning out, carb likely will need rebuilt....new filters, plugs, points, oil etc........

Make sure the engine turns over, has compression...spark and you should be set to go

#4 ·
Thanks, guys. I don't yet know if it was properly prepped for storage, so there are lots of unknowns involved. Could be just a weekend to get it roadworthy, or could be a pile of scrap metal held together only by inertia, or pretty much anything in between. Still, it's exciting to think about.

#5 · (Edited)
Finally got a good look at the car. . .

Hey, guys. I finally got a chance to look at the car today--some family stuff got in the way of making the trip sooner. It turns out that the car hasn't been sitting quite as long as I thought--it had a 1990 tag on it. So I'm pretty confident it was used at least occasionally until that point.

The bad: as expected, there's some rust under the vinyl top, and a little bit at the bottom edge of the driver's front fender. As expected, the brakes are locked down. As expected, there are cobwebs everywhere. The weatherstripping is hard and cracked. I wasn't able to get into the trunk to check for rust or moisture there, as there was no round-head key found. The seats have been reupholstered in a ribbed blue vinyl that doesn't look or feel appropriate for a Cadillac.

The good: there's a paper trail substantiating the odometer reading of 77487 miles. It's the hardtop body style, which I find more attractive than the more formal version. The tires are somewhat rotten but will hold air long enough to get it on a trailer, which will simplify getting it here. There's no visible rust on the frame, the floor pans, or anywhere else under the car. The dash and door panels look good, with no cracking or fading. The carpet is somewhat faded but in good condition with no holes or stains. The paint is intact. The glass is intact. Door latches and locks all work smoothly, and there is no sagging evident on any of the doors. They open and close smoothly, further supporting the idea that the car is fundamentally structurally sound. The chrome trim is all present, and in good condition with only very minor pitting. There is no evidence of rodent life, and on first glance the hoses and wiring appear basically intact.

The best news: my friend who inherited the car has offered to share in the labor and the restoration cost. He just wants the car to go to someone who will recommission it and enjoy it. So I'm going to accept his generous offer and make arrangements to collect the car next week. I will post some pictures soon, and I will start a project journal here to share my experiences and raise questions as I go.

Thanks again for all of your help.

#8 ·
The best news: my friend who inherited the car has offered to share in the labor and the restoration cost. He just wants the car to go to someone who will recommission it and enjoy it. So I'm going to accept his generous offer and make arrangements to collect the car next week.
On a cautionary note, be sure you and the owner are on VERY sound footing (as in, in writing) on who owns what and who pays for what and how the proceeds will be distributed at resale, etc. unless you're donating your time and labor to a friend.

If it were me and I thought I really wanted this Caddy, I would simply buy it for a fair price and then- as the legal owner- the rest is moot. This assumes there is clear title (or whatever passes for same in your jurisdiction) to the vehicle and it's free of liens/encumbrances. Without paperwork it's a parts car.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.