Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - cadillac northstar 4.6 swap info needed
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

BMW Northstar....Me Too!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I applaud you for not giving in to the booooooring SBC swap. I'm working on a Northstar into an E30 BMW. What are you doing for the water pump? That seems to be the biggest problem with using the FWD N* in a RWD application. The water pump ends up right where the master cylinder wants to be.
I'm putting a Northstar in a BMW E28 5 series. I plan on using a timing cover plate similar to the CHRFab one, but have the stock water pump machined off to bolt thru it and run coolant to flanges on the back of the head (these flanges can be seen in "project cars" of High Performance Salvage's website),and mount a larger pulley on it as it is now running off the crank. This way the replacement pump will still be Caddy and the stock t-stat can be used.
If you are planning on using a electric water pump, then I would suggest using the AEM computer for engine management as it has 16 extra outputs that can be programed in. Pump speed could be changed to follow engine temp and engine loads to help maintain temp better. This could be vital as I am sure that rad space will be at a minimum too.

I will try and keep you posted more as I learn more during my project.

Cheers, Gordo.