Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - cadillac northstar 4.6 swap info needed
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 09:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

megasquirt ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacsmret
Still got the N*star donor vehicle in the yard; a '94 Eldorado. Was going to transplant the N*star into a 67 Deville ragtop; exhaust, oilpan and waterpump seems to be the biggest issues. I have all the donor ecms; you can reverse the N*Star intake; and I too was looking at Megasquirt as an alternative. As a matter of fact, I'm going to use the spouse's I6, 250 6 cylinder Mustang convertible as a guniea pig for the Megasquirt, swapping the 1 barrel carb for a mid-eighties Ford TBI (she floods the 'Stang all the time). I've picked up a '70 Eldorado 500 ci motor and a 76 Eldorado fuel injected intake manifold to also use Megasquirt if the 'Stang works out. I have an Eldlebrock intake for the 500 ci, however the hood clearance prohibits the 4-inch height increase without hood modification on the Deville; which also rules out using adapter plates and a Ford 460 EFI setup. A radical modification would be to graft the entire N*Star cradle and FWD setup to your project car....lots of work, but might be worth it to avoid the x-shaped frame on a '58 Caddi (if I remember properly).

I looked at the Megasquirt site......that looks like a tonne of extra work.

The northstar engine already has everything to needs to run really strong,it's just that it's ecm wants to talk to every sensor and all the other seven computers on the vehicle. That is what would keep it from running right (in closed loop). Take a look at the AEM ones. They com ready to go ...plug and play. Then you can go in and adjust the program to what you want,without have to know any trig algorythms, plus it has up to 16 extra outputs for boost control,NOS ,or anything you need.
It costs more but it would mean way less time in set-up and soldering.

Cheers Gordo.