Hot Rod Forum banner

Cadillac rear end, ID help

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  M&M CUSTOM 
#1 ·
Anyone here have any experience with Cadillac rear ends? My truck came with what was discribed only as "a caddy rear end." Its a very large rear end with no rear cover plate. The axles come out and the center section drops like a 9". I want to say its about 58" wide and has very large drums. (it has been a while since I measured it, and I have no pics at this time, but if someone would like pics to help ID it, I will get some ASAP). Its also got a large bolt pattern. 5 on 5 maybe? the 5 on 4.75" wheels the PO had put on it have the lug holes ovaled to fit. The only numbers on the thing, are in the iron chunk. "1489653" on the bottom and a "36" on the top. The chunk is also held into the housing with 14 studs. Near as I could tell from counting rotations, is that is has 3.07 gears also.

Its been a nice rear end, but the bolt pattern and width dont please me so much. But Id like to know what this thing is just the same.

thanks.

#2 ·
The axle you are asking about is of the "hotchkis" design and is similar in construction to a ford 9 inch.

This type of axle was used in GM's vehicles (both cars and trucks) prior to 1964.

Usually this type of axle used in trucks back then had 6 lugs.

The wheels you described with the "the lug holes ovaled to fit" are more commonly described as unilug and should have a slot around the hole for a steel insert to fit into, these type wheels will fit three different size bolt patterns with only a change of the inexpensive steel inserts.

Pictures will only confirm what I have typed above, but the part numbers can be searched at a local GM dealership that has an excellent parts counter technician that's willing to look through the OLD stuff if they even still have it.

Or a lucky search on the internet maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.