cadillac transmission - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003, 07:02 AM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cadillac transmission

hey, yall. i just got a free 83 cadillac eldorado. its front wheel drive with the 4.1 V8 in it. im planning on using this car through the winter, then scrapping the body and saving the motor to stick into something else. what im wondering is if there is a rear wheel drive transmission that will fit this engine. if so, what is it out of, and what else will i need to make it work with the engine?
thanks
mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2003, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

The HT4100 isn't much of a motor to use for swaps. With it's aluminum block and iron heads, gasket sealing was a major issue. Head and intake gaskets being the worst. It did use a standard BOP bell housing pattern. The 200-4R was used by Cadillac in the rear drive models powered by the HT4100. A standard BOP th350 would work as well. Dan
Old 11-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:

i figured it would be something interesting. i didnt know anything about the motor until now, and i only know what you told me.
does it have the 8-6-4 ignition system ive heard so many bad things about? after all, the motor runs good, but if its just going to waste my time, i probably wont bother.
with the gasket sealing problems: would milling the heads and intake help this problem? i was planning on bumping compression and porting them anyway, so would it be benificial? or should i just hold out for the 500 caddy that i really want?
after all, i wanna stick a caddy into my road race inspired javelin. just for sheer oddball points
what about a manual bellhousing and transmission? any hope there?
with a swap to a 200-4r, will i need to switch torque converters or flywheels?
thanks for all the help.
mike
Old 11-13-2003, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

The 8-6-4 system was used on the 368. The 368 was of the same engine family as the 425/472/500. The HT4100 was the first attempt by Cadillac to build a small, light weight, powerful engine. At 250 cubic inches, it's small. The aluminum block made it light. Powerful, it never was.
Head gasket problems started with the different expansion rates of the aluminum block and iron heads. Head gaskets couldn't take the scrubbing action for long.
The second major problem was cooling system corrosion. Several ideas have circulated as to why the corrosion was a problem. Electrolysis seems to be what most blame. A once a year flush and fill seems to slow the corrosion quite a bit.
You wouldn't want to mill the heads to raise compression. They are a light weight casting to start with, and warp quite easily when the head gasket goes.

If you are set on Caddy power, the 425/472/500 are, by far, a better motor to start a high performance build on than a 4100.

When running a stick trans behind a Caddy, the flywheel and pilot bushing are the two main issues. If you plan on using a big inch motor, go to this sight for a good explanation of what's needed to convert over to a stick. Dan

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/caddyc...arlopage2.html
Old 11-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:

thanks dan.
ill jest beeat it for the winter, and scraap it come summer. or cut the roof off and have a convertable.....
mike

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.