Cage nut question. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cage nut question.

I have a couple cage nuts that spun on my 71 Chevelle, and a couple that the guy before me didnt bother to put back on

Question is, can I weld the nut itself to the body of the car without using a cage?
Will I run into issues If I do it this way?

The reason I ask is because $7 each for new nuts is expensive, I dont have the patience to make 6 of those suckers and new square nuts are CHEAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 AM

Caged nuts are indeed a pain in the neck. Especially when you're trying to get your head in position to see what the problem is.

What makes me wonder is if you can get in there to weld, why not just put on a nut with a flat and lock washer?

On the subject, yes, you can weld a nut. Square ones are best because the tips are farther out from the threads and have a lower chance of melting threads. You could tap a iron strap of an appropriate length and thickness then weld that to the body, moving the threads further away from the welding. After welding, clean and spray the nut and surrounding area liberally with paint first and then undercoating if it is hidden. If the area is finished for show, you may want to skip that step. You should run a tap through them when done to assure decent threads and to remove welding residuals/scale . When installing the new bolts, coat liberally with anti-seize material to prevent what destroyed the original nuts...rust.

Geez. A chevy guy in Mass. Thought we had eradicated all of you.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:30 PM

The reason I don't want to use a regular nut/lock washer combo is if I should ever need to remove those bolts I'd be screwed.
Especially with the ones under the floorpans.
It would also eliminate the possibility of spinning another one years on down the road.

I may some day decide to put poly bushings in there, who knows.

Since cage nuts don't provide any adjustment the only downside I can see is that IF I should ever break a bolt off i'd have to grind down/cut the entire thing.
Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BIRDMAN
Geez. A chevy guy in Mass. Thought we had eradicated all of you.
We multiply fast
Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ChevelleAddict
The reason I don't want to use a regular nut/lock washer combo is if I should ever need to remove those bolts I'd be screwed.
Especially with the ones under the floorpans.
It would also eliminate the possibility of spinning another one years on down the road.

I may some day decide to put poly bushings in there, who knows.

Since cage nuts don't provide any adjustment the only downside I can see is that IF I should ever break a bolt off i'd have to grind down/cut the entire thing.
Thoughts?

We multiply fast

Hi again.

I made the assumption that, since there was room to weld, there would be room to use a wrench, both for installation and later service. A lot of my thoughts were based on heavier stuff, like bumper braces, body bolts, crossmember anchors, etc. Still, if you are under the floor pan, a seat anchor would be a prime area to pop something while taking the bolts out.

A lot depends on whether the use is for highway, off road, or fair weather cruising. Naturally, off road would be the most demanding and in risk of the most corrosion. I had hoped my suggestion to eliminate rust and to prevent the bolt from seizing in the future would be adequate. The heart and soul of keeping them from freezing is the anti-sieze compound. Use lots of it.

The poly is a good idea, I haven't used them so can't speculate on their performance. I suspect it will hold torque better than metal, up to a point, of course. I would guess it would also be vunerable to fretting from vibration. And, if the bolt should become rusted on the far side of the bushing, the threads will be wiped out completely.

Once again, if the threads are adequately protected from rusting, you should not wring them off again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for coming back after my snide remark.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Not sure exactly where your is, but maybe you could drill a nice hole with a hole saw,use a regular nut and use a rubber plug in the hole.make it easy for next time.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.