Hot Rod Forum banner

Cal Van Tools inline flaring tools

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  evintho 
#1 ·
If you don't have a set, or at least the single 3/16" die and block, you need them. $60-70 for the set, but the single die sets are only $25

I just got done doing some brake lines, having never been able to make a good double flare that was leak free. Always ended up replacing more line and buying pre flared sticks.. These things will make a perfect double flare in 30 seconds or less, and flaring into 'good' line on a car, is easy since the tool works in line.. I used it with Nicopp which is great stuff in itself, but it still flared the OEM steel coated lines without an issue

#8 ·
Yeah bad reviewers seem to say 3-4 uses and it strips. and i say bullcrap. I practiced on steel line making 20 flares or better before splicing into the lines on my car... I think the issue is the press portion does not thread onto the block portion like butter out of the box. It takes some use to get it smooth, but its an absolute must to get it bottomed out on the block. If you didn't, then it would strip in 3-4 uses.. Btw this was recommended to me by a pro.. I don't think there was a better tool for the job in my case.

#9 ·
I stopped and looked at the Napa kit. Decided to pass on it. The CPP tool I use works great and there is nothing that's going to strip out or break on it. Used it today building brake lines for my van project and it did a great job!
Mark

#10 ·
I bought the CalVan master kit awhile back. About $60 on Amazon. I used it in fabbing the entire brake and fuel systems on my roadster. Using 3/16" Ni-Cop brake line the CalVan tool made perfect double flares and was very simple to use. The kit comes with 3/16" and all the way up to 3/8" dies. Even has a couple of millimeter dies in there also. The tool is slim enough to actually be able to flare lines on the car, if need be.

Only 2 downsides to the kit and they're both easily fixable.
The first one is, flaring any tubing over 1/4" and the block doesn't seem to hold the tube firmly. It slides back into the block not allowing you to make a proper flare. That can be remedied by coating the tubing with valve lapping paste giving it more of a grip.
The other problem is, the two 1-1/4" long 1/4-20 allenhead bolts that clamp the block together will break after a few tightening sequences. They're just cheaply made. Pick up some extra ones at Home Depot so you're not hung up in the middle of a project when they break.

All in all, a very good flaring set at a very good price!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.