California Air Pollution car race info and history ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 07:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

California Air Pollution car race info and history ??

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for information on high millage cars from the 70's and 80's. I know they had a lot of these kinda "races" back in the day. In particular regarding the Kendig and or Fish Carb. I came across this on the net and was looking for some verification.

"Early 1970's B1-B,3 CARBURETION, KENDIG A young college student (name unknown), entered his Mercury "gas hog" in the California Air Pollution car race and won hands down. He was using the KENDIG Variable Venturi carburetor that a small company (name unknown), manufactured in Los Angeles for racing cars. Within a week the student was told to remove the carburetor since it wasn't approved by the Air Resources Board (ARB). His car had reduced pollution and doubled the gas mileage (for that model). (see late 1950's) Kendig Technologies, Inc. Thanks Marty! "

I cant seem to find much info or websites regarding past winners of millage races and their cars. I'm not trying to stir the pot on the 100 mpg carburetors just looking for some interesting reading

Thanks
Jordon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

I find some of the claims in that little blurb to be a little far fetched as well as unsubstantiated( it was convenient that names were unavailable). I can tell you many of the tricks that were used when the Mobile economy run was a big deal in the 50s and 60s and would imagine that some of them were the same as used then. The tires were overinflated (as much as 80psi) to lower rolling resistance, the engines were shut down while going down hills,brakes were used as little as possible (by slowing down before stoplights or turns so that there was no need to accelrate from a stop), some were even caught with small fuel tanks hidden in the doors so they could "extend" their mileage. I seriously doubt that the Kendig carb was ALL that, they are still available( under the new name) and are not even used in racing, it was an interesting concept that I think was poorly executed, motorcycle carbs work similarly and are mcuh better at metering fuel/air.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

The big oil companies have a gang called the "Blakgoldcrew". They formed this gang with the understanding that if someone comes up with the magic carburator that does exactly what this variable venturi they all would loose millions in sales. This joint venture, the "blakgoldcrew" have successfully "eliminated" the variable venturi, the gas line magnet (I mean the one that really worked, not the lame copy they sell in the back of the Enquire), the gas extender additive, as well as a very promising book called "Egg under the gas pedal".

Rumor has it that this fellow who invented the variable venturi carb and patended it is buried under the number 1 pump at a Quickie Mart on Santa Monica Bl in LA.

Brian
Old 02-01-2009, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

I wonder if they buried him with a stock pile of carbs? LOL

I was doing some patent searches and it looks like Kendig holds a bunch of carburetor patents, this one looked pretty cool, anyone remember the sonic carburetor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTVdWoVHarA
http://www.google.com/patents?id=ySI...nic+carburetor
Old 02-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If'n I remember right, Kendig is still alive and lives in a nursing home not far from where I live, 2 miles tops. I'll ask my buddy tomorrow if Kendig is still alive, my buddy sees him at an annual car show they do for the old folks home. Kendig, IIRC, developed the Predator carb also.
Dan

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.