California DMV and car registration question. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

California DMV and car registration question.

Hello,
I live in California and I am thinking of purchasing a corvette that has been sitting for over 22 years.
The owner claims that it is originally a Georgia car and it was brought from Georgia to California 22 years ago.
The car has a clear Georgia title, although it is not currently registered.
He never registered it in CA or got around restoring it.

I would like to know what I would have to do to register it in CA.
Are there any problems that I may face to get it registered?

Advertisement

Last edited by rajsid; 11-08-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

I lived in so cal for most my life..registration of out of state vehicles isn't too bad.. if the title is good,, (pink slip) and signed.. if you can get it stamped by a notary even better.. they will check vin numbers,,and verify them,, and issue you your new pink slip ..of course,, you will have to have a smog cert,,so get one first.. make sure that it has whatever smog junk that came with at time of manufacture.. green plastic vac. thing in top of radiator hose .. cat converter,,whatever..you should be fine.......
Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Get title only for now. I guess it's not running after 22 years and you want to establish ownership first, right? I would be a b***h to do all the work and find out there's a problem getting it titled. You should be able to title it without registration and plates. I suggest you take the same question down to DMV and find out for sure.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Get title only for now. I guess it's not running after 22 years and you want to establish ownership first, right? I would be a b***h to do all the work and find out there's a problem getting it titled. You should be able to title it without registration and plates. I suggest you take the same question down to DMV and find out for sure.
Exactly.. I want to register it before I restore it.
It's a 71 corvette, so it's smog exempt. It's not running, in fact I will end up putting in 20k before it can run.

If DMV wants vin verification, they will have to see my pictures or come to my house to verify the numbers.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
I lived in so cal for most my life..registration of out of state vehicles isn't too bad.. if the title is good,, (pink slip) and signed.. if you can get it stamped by a notary even better.. they will check vin numbers,,and verify them,, and issue you your new pink slip ..of course,, you will have to have a smog cert,,so get one first.. make sure that it has whatever smog junk that came with at time of manufacture.. green plastic vac. thing in top of radiator hose .. cat converter,,whatever..you should be fine.......
It's smog exempt. How would the DMV verify numbers if the car isn't running?
Pictures acceptable?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:30 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

It seems like they would accept pics and a signed affidavid (sp?) of some kind - - - you might have to trailer it to the DMV ! I can't see them making house calls
Old 11-08-2009, 05:46 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Here in Indiana they have a form for an officer to fill out called an "out of state VIN check" The police officers usually have the form on them. They check the VIN on the title to the number on the car and sign their name. Then we take that to BMV and apply for a new title. Call BMV and see if they have the form cause you might have to pick it up yourself before you call the police to come and visit.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

they will accept a rubbing of vin along with pictures..pictures can be cropped,, rubbing can't..
Old 11-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,118 Times in 994 Posts
I haven't registered a car like that in years but I don't think any photo, rubbing or anything like that is good enough. Used to be a cop could sign them off, that has changed. As far as I know the car MUST be taken to a Hiway patrol station to be inspected of its numbers.

That is how I know it WAS, it may have changed but if it did it only got harder not easier. It used to be you simply drove it by the DMV and got away with murder. Come on, a DMV employee checking out VINS? LOLOLOL, they are not skilled in such stuff (or give a rats butt).

Then they changed it to the cop coming by your house. With cops having more important things to do, and with cops doing things for friends. I know my best friend in school became a cop and he signed off his fair share of vin verifications thru the mail from another city!

So as far as I know towing it to the Highway patrol station is how it is done now. I have one myself that I am going to need to do this with.

Brian
Old 11-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

Looks like there are ways to get the car verified by CHP/DMV although it is not running.

Now I am more worried about the fees. The car was brought to CA 22 years ago and the owner never registered it. Will I end up having to pay all dues for the last 22 years?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:46 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I doubt it. Why not call BMV and ask them? I'd tell BMV that I just hauled it from out of state yesterday. How they going to prove you didn't? They can't collect fee's for another state so I guess you've got that covered.
Don't go running down to BMV the same day the owner sign's and date's the title, it might raise some eye brows.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

Are there fees for a car that's not being used on the road?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.