California DMV/ CHP DOT rules and regs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

California DMV/ CHP DOT rules and regs

My first thread Hope its done right. My query is what is the scoop on putting old bodies on newer rolling chassis ? How is registration determined by the body or by the chassis ? Do I need pinks on both ? Is a CHP inspection required ? Are new vin #`s issued ? I have a older truck , newer chassis in mind. But, what about RAT RODS !! they seem to be made from all odds and ends. I like rat rods , but what about paper work ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Any time a question comes up about the law, I always advise the OP to find the law in black and white and read it for himself. Do not believe ANYONE who interprets a law for you. Read it for yourself in black and white from the original source book or suffer the consequences. Been there, done that, been there, done that, been there, done that. Trust me on this.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
dougdebi (05-08-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Keep in mind, most "rat rods" are made with very old chassis, and 40's-50's engines. All exempt in CA. Much of CA law requires you to meet the requirements of the newer of the engine or the chassis. Exemptions are made for some in-family engines. But Tech is right. Read the DMV rules, and apply them to your situation.

PatM
The Following User Says Thank You to PatM For This Useful Post:
dougdebi (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

The only problem is is still can be almost impossible to tell...for example you can read law books but you'd need to be a trained lawyer to really get the picture.

What I have done in the past is to take such situations to private DMV agents...individuals (found in the phone book) who collect a fee in order to handle registration matters, etc. They may work with dealers or just be there for people who don't have time to spend in lines, they are licensed by the state and spend a couple days a week in their offices and a couple down at the actual DMV in the back room.

Such agents have the desirable combination of DMV experience and actual motivation to get problems solved as their income is thus enhanced. They might even come to your house and check VINs if you need, or you can trailer your stuff to them. Things that might be somewhat subject to discretion or interpretation within the rules they might be able to tilt in your favor, at least more-so than the Highway Patrol, but of-course they are not there to help people cheat.

Be aware however that if you're not actually there to start the registration process, the answer today may not be there for you when you really go to register. And, different people have different types of experience (or patience). You might mention at the outset that it's about old cars and mixed up engines/frames, and if you're not getting the answers you want maybe try another person.
The Following User Says Thank You to kso For This Useful Post:
dougdebi (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by kso View Post
What I have done in the past is to take such situations to private DMV agents...individuals (found in the phone book) who collect a fee in order to handle registration matters, etc. They may work with dealers or just be there for people who don't have time to spend in lines, they are licensed by the state and spend a couple days a week in their offices and a couple down at the actual DMV in the back room.
I had no idea that such persons existed. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
dougdebi (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Go here, click on "California" and read...

Russ
The Following User Says Thank You to S10xGN For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (05-07-2013)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.