California legislation (AB 616) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 05:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

California legislation (AB 616)

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62246

Well, the legislators must be trying to find another way to drain the wallets of the older car owners, enthusiasts, hobbiests, and anyone with am older vehicle.

Although the way the proposal is currently written, vehicles 1976 and older are supposed to stay exempt but I would not be surprised if somewhere in the process, they make a change to go back to earlier years somehow.

Here is the text from the SEMA news article:

SEMA eNews, Vol. 10, No.25 - Jun 21, 2007
CALIFORNIA BILL TO REQUIRE ANNUAL EMISSIONS TESTS FOR VEHICLES 15 YEARS OLD AND OLDER PASSES ASSEMBLY; MOVES TO SENATE

California legislation (AB 616) to require annual smog-check inspections for vehicles 15 years old and older has been approved by the California Assembly and has been sent to the Senate for consideration. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004, a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all '76 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-'76 motor vehicles would remain exempt under AB 616. The bill has now been referred to the Senate Transportation Committee and will be considered on June 26. For more information click here. For details, contact Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 07:24 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Surely these vehicles couldn't be required to meet current emissions standards, could they? I'd have to imagine they wold be required to meet emissions standards from the time which they were manufactured...???
Old 06-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Occupant Ilied Industries

Last photo:

This is California we're talking about, having a 1977 model car pass 2007 emissions would be their thing. And I would just love to take something out there that old and make it pass just to torque them off.

I think the main issue of the bill is making the tests annually instead of every 2 years. At least that's what I recall is the standard there now, you test your car every other year, or when you transfer title. Which means smog tests will now cost twice as much for older vehicle owners.

It also means I wish to remain here in Texas, where cars 25 years and older are exempt, paving the way for some disgustingly fast worked over powerplants to make their way into early 80's smoggers.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Tonight, I saw on the Bay area news..The EPA is now going (to try to) Mandate an 80% Smog reduction FEDERALLY (Meaning all states) over what California is currently reporting NOW..

NOW If I understand the proposal Correctly, This would mean Not only would the standards get tougher in California (which are the toughest in the country) BUT all states will have to meet California standards as well..

They target Transportation as the #1 offender, but the Close second is Industrial Complexes..(specifically The OIL REFINERIES in the SF BAY area) as major polluters..

As For that bill..

The way I read it..They are not messing with the exempt status..(which is 76 and under..31 years) It says that under AB616 the pre 76 's would remain exempt...BUT read closely..WHAT IT DOES say..Is all above that would be required to SMOG EVERY YEAR..instead of the two year period we now have in effect..Maybe an "under the radar sneak?" to mandate ANNUAL inspections? They say the "EXTRA" money will go to pay for scrapping out those not in compliance..I can only take that as an acceleration of the testing period..(double the bucks..)

DONO..I think it's time to stop these fools..while Smog is a problem..these guys are getting BIG bucks from US and not improving a thing in proportion..Just making it harder to enjoy our hobby...

Doc
Old 06-21-2007, 11:25 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

I understand why they want to cut on pollution but all they doo is tighten up the cars it seems. Factories are slowly pulling ahead and they dont seem to care. I read an article a while back and it said texas put out more pollutants then the next 3 states combined. I think they should stay with testing everyother year, keep the rolling exemptions, tighten up the factories, and adopt them to other states.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:17 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for breakin' it down Doc- all that Legislative mumbo-jumbo is a little confusin' for us common folk
Old 06-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This is another end run to pacify the EPA folks. There have been a number of extensions for air quality requirements, this plan wouldn't cost the state anymore revenue, the state will profit from the monies garnered from the tests. If it were to take effect today, 1977 to 1992 vehicles would be smogged annually. There is a huge circle of smog producers, starting with the refineries, one that is almost untouchable, Ca. pays more for fuel than any other state I know of, more regulations will push the price of fuel up, everyone is p.o.ed at that point. What to do? Deisel rigs hauling our commerce up and down the state, any answers? Farm equipment, smog and dust belchers. Answers? Huge dairies with farting cattle. Everyone has the right to make a living, where do you start? Take the easy way out, get after the older vehicles, can't be that many folks with 15 year or older vehicles out there. Personally, I would love to see them quit allowing the huge dairies move in to the San Joaquin valley, where I live, 2000-6000 head of cattle, the stench can be unbelievable at times. Air quality has improved over the years I've lived here, (30) in the 80s you couldnn't see a stop light half a mile ahead of you, the air was that thick. There's going to be some major changes in the future for transportation, leave our hobby alone and I won't scream, not too much, anyway. The people that will be paying the price are the folks that can't afford a newer vehicle and will have to shell out the smog fees every year, unfortunately I don't see any of our legislators in the income bracket. Dan
Old 10-30-2010, 09:34 AM

smog check question

here in extreme northern CA we only need to smog once is that gonna change
Thanks
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarofiend73
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62246

Well, the legislators must be trying to find another way to drain the wallets of the older car owners, enthusiasts, hobbiests, and anyone with am older vehicle.

Although the way the proposal is currently written, vehicles 1976 and older are supposed to stay exempt but I would not be surprised if somewhere in the process, they make a change to go back to earlier years somehow.

Here is the text from the SEMA news article:

SEMA eNews, Vol. 10, No.25 - Jun 21, 2007
CALIFORNIA BILL TO REQUIRE ANNUAL EMISSIONS TESTS FOR VEHICLES 15 YEARS OLD AND OLDER PASSES ASSEMBLY; MOVES TO SENATE

California legislation (AB 616) to require annual smog-check inspections for vehicles 15 years old and older has been approved by the California Assembly and has been sent to the Senate for consideration. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004, a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all '76 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-'76 motor vehicles would remain exempt under AB 616. The bill has now been referred to the Senate Transportation Committee and will be considered on June 26. For more information click here. For details, contact Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbjuan
here in extreme northern CA we only need to smog once is that gonna change
Thanks
Kevin
This is a 3 year old post. It has been defeated.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:29 PM

Thanks Dinger

I failed to notice the date on the thread
Old 10-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
Surely these vehicles couldn't be required to meet current emissions standards, could they? I'd have to imagine they wold be required to meet emissions standards from the time which they were manufactured...???
This would make sense to any sensible individual but then remember were talking about our government here.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:55 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

not only the government but calyfornia land of geniuses

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.