California Smog Law - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 05:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

California Smog Law

Hey guys, I know this has Proably been discussed already... But does anyone know if this Retarded law REALLY passed, from what I understand it did....... I'm so pissed off right now (California Smog Law)
If it is true, can some of you guys help out and see if we can get the piece of crap law out!... I was waiting for the year to come with 1980's and 1990's Mustangs / Camaros would become Smog Exempt... This really pisses me off... If anyone else has any more info on this please share???

Update AB2683 - September 2004
The 30 Year Rolling Exemption Is Dead

AB2683 ends the 30 year rolling exemption. Amendments were added on the Senate Floor after passing through all committees. Here is what AB2683 does:
1. “Section 1. (a) It is the intent of the Legislature, in enacting the act adding this section, to ensure that vehicles , of the 1975 model-year and older are permanently exempted from the biennial compliance requirement of the motor vehicle inspection and maintenance (smog check) program.
2. 1976 and newer model vehicles are to remain in the smog check program forever.
3. Amendments added a link to Vehicle Code 5051 and placed additional requirements on 1976 and newer model vehicles as follows:
a. A 1976 or newer model vehicle will always require a smog check,
b. When a 1976 or newer model vehicle reaches 35 years old or older the owner of the vehicle can get a less stringent test as defined in number 4
4. To qualify for the less stringent test the requirements are:
a. The owner presents proof that the vehicle is insured as a collector vehicle
b. No parameters are specified in the bill for the collector insurance (example – mileage)
c. The vehicle must be at least 35 model years old
d. The vehicle must pass a tailpipe emissions test for that model year
e. The vehicle must pass a Gas Cap Check
f. The vehicle must pass a Fuel Leak Check
The Good News: For now all 1966-1975 vehicle owners can keep all of their highly modified vehicles exactly as is.
The Bad News: Vehicle Code 27156 still says the vehicle must retain its original emissions equipment in place. We are all vulnerable. I get regular email from South Coast Air Quality District of 1971-1980 vehicles being bought and crushed. As a result parts for 1971 to 1980 vehicles will become harder to find. This is State Funded Scrappage. Remote Sensing is in full operation (study mode) taking emissions readings on any vehicle that goes through it (including street rods, hot rods, rat rods, 50s vehicles and 60s classic vehicles). No vehicle is exempt from Remote Sensing. We must still fight that battle.
What Can You Do? Write Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and tell him to veto AB2683. The address is:
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-445-2841
FAX: 916-445-4633
EMAIL: http://www.govmail.ca.gov
Alternative EMAIL: governor@governor.ca.gov
Which Hobby Vehicles Are Mostly Like Affected By AB2683?: Late 70s Bronco’s, Late 70s 4x4 off-road pickups, Late 70s Transams and possibly Lo Rider Customized Vehicles. I have seen a lot of nice vehicles in each of these categories.
Who will be affected? : In addition to owners of the above vehicles, many low-income people who cannot afford to repair their vehicle will be affected.

We do not have a lot of time before the bill gets to the Governor. Please write to him and distribute this flyer. Thank You. Len Trimlett www.smogrfg.com

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Sorry dood but glad I dont live in CA...
Old 05-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

This is what all the tree hugging Barbara Boxer admiring liberals did to our state. They found a way to get this law passed by calling Arnold a anti-environmentalist. He had to pass this law in order to get other more important laws passed. Politicians have to rob Peter to pay Paul while banging Mary on the side. Old Slick Willy was one of the better Presidents at this.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:58 PM

It really sucks, Stupid people make it harder for the Hot Rodders
Old 05-15-2005, 10:26 PM

You are a little late. That law was passed august last year. My 76 was going to fall off the program this year.

I built a 73 to get around the whole deal.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:56 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Join the SEMA action network or other groups that fight stupid laws and try to come up with logical pro hobby solutions.I'm not very active my self,but I have been a member of SANS for 2yrs.
www.semasan.com www.covacvag.org
Or do as the govt wants bend over,pay your taxes and smile.
And just remeber that while your paying for a new catyletic converter,a multi-million dollar factory just crushed XXX amount of old cars so they didn;'t have to pay to update there emissions on there smokestack.

Last edited by 78 monte; 05-16-2005 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Why the smell do you think my newest car is a '53 Chevy pickup?
Old 05-16-2005, 12:53 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

That is why I have a '73 Camaro. I would have loved to have my engine in a 3rd Gen Camaro. I guess that won't happen.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 PM

*** Why cant we hotrod?

Why cant we find or develop a simple aftermarket emissions control system that will bolt to specific engines and be universal to the vehicle it is going into.? A generic if you will. Does anyone know of anything like this or am I just blowing smoke??
Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 AM

This post is over 2 and a 1/2years old. How ever they domake after market cats that are as best to my knowledge universal.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

the problem with the smog law is its equipment driven.if it was just performance driven they whould stick a sniffer up your tailpipe and not look at equipment.i whould love to see that because a well tuned effenccint performance motor will put out less polluition than a factory smog motor
Old 12-29-2007, 11:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwopper07
the problem with the smog law is its equipment driven.if it was just performance driven they whould stick a sniffer up your tailpipe and not look at equipment.i whould love to see that because a well tuned effenccint performance motor will put out less polluition than a factory smog motor
Unfortunately a simple sniffer test is only a spot check. For a pure performance-based test to work, you'd need to run your car through the same series of tests that the OEMs use to certify cars. Since that's neither practical nor affordable, the combination of a spot check at one or two RPM settings and a visual check that equipment is hooked up is used. You certainly have the option of having your car (with your own emissions equipment) certified. This is what the aftermarket turbo companies do, for example. Just be prepared to write a five figure check for the testing.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:50 AM

Smog Laws in California

The smog laws in California are corrupt. I have found that the people who pushed through the ban on older cars getting a smog exemption have numerous connections to the auto industry. Further, the house representative who wrote the bill is originally from Detroit, the signers and promoters of the bill are listed as executives from Toyota, GM, oil companies, etc.. (see list below). This banning of older cars is just a ploy to keep people from actually recycling automobiles---the new laws force the public to purchase new cars, thus more pollution is generated manufacturing these new cars, and the law is ultimately bad for the environment. Driving an old car is far more beneficial to the environment than buying a new prius. Anyway, you probably know all of this, but if you are interested in taking action, I would be interested in forming some sort of organized action to get this corruption exposed and the laws reverted to allow older cars back on the road. You can reach me at: info@northbeachfilms.com[/email]

This corrupt group is also responsible:
http://www.cceeb.org/contact.html

Check out these signatures:

"The California Environmental Dialogue"

Dave Barthmuss
General Motors Company

Lee Moldaver
Audubon California

Steve Gross
The Wine Institute

Jonathan Bauer
HP

Michele Perrault
Sierra Club

Michael Hertel
Southern California Edison

K.C. Bishop
ChevronTexaco Corporation

Fred Keeley
Planning & Conservation
League

Mark Posson
Lockheed Martin
Corporation

Jim J. Qin
U.S. Borax

Ashley Boren
Sustainable Conservation

Felicia Marcus
Trust for Public Land

Debbie Drake
The Nature Conservancy

Victoria Rome
Natural Resources Defense
Council

Jason Mark

Union of Concerned
Scientists

Candace Skarlatos
Bank of America

Manuel G. Grace
The Walt Disney Company

Charles McGlashan
CED

Julie Spezia
California Futures Network

Thomas Graff
Environmental Defense

Brian K. Sullivan
BP

Victor Weisser
CCEEB

Robert Wilkinson
Earth Island Institute

Additional CAD Members
Steven Douglas

Alliance of Automobile
Manufacturers
Pam Jones

Diesel Technology Forum

Dean Kato
Toyota Motor Sales, USA

Last edited by northbeach; 08-06-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

[QUOTE=northbeach]The smog laws in California are corrupt. I have found that the people who pushed through the ban on older cars getting a smog exemption have numerous connections to the auto industry. Further, the house representative who wrote the bill is originally from Detroit, the signers and promoters of the bill are listed as executives from Toyota, GM, oil companies, etc.. (see list below). This banning of older cars is just a ploy to keep people from actually recycling automobiles---the new laws force the public to purchase new cars, thus more pollution is generated manufacturing these new cars, and the law is ultimately bad for the environment. Driving an old car is far more beneficial to the environment than buying a new prius. Anyway, you probably know all of this, but if you are interested in taking action, I would be interested in forming some sort of organized action to get this corruption exposed and the laws reverted to allow older cars back on the road. You can reach me at: info@northbeachfilms.com[/email]

The original thread is over four years old and this rant is inappropriate for the Engine Forum. Moving to the lounge.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 08-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What law are you referring to? I follow SEMA action with the govt quite closely, everything I know of against the hobbyist/collector has failed. As far as an outright ban on older vehicles, I am clueless, can you point us in the right direction. The last I heard of anything was pre-1976 vehicles were exempt from the smog laws. I do know, from living in the San Joaquin Valley, that our air quality has improved greatly in the last 20 years. I would like to see the restrictions on how many dairies are being built, the cattle are now the worse emission polluters in this area. Smog laws, like them or not, are working. Want to kill 2 birds with one stone, eliminate drive thrus at fast food joints, do a car hop deal or make the people actually walk in to order their food. Might whip some obesity problems also. Stoplights, time them for efficiency, 2 areas where cars are idling and wasting fuel. Limit the number of fart factories (cattle). Want to make a difference, go after the big corporations that make these problems go away with their influence and money. When it comes to some plastic laden, 20 year old car, scrap it or keep it licensed and have it smogged. I see enough oil burning pieces of sh** everyday, we don't need them on the road. Cars today will run 200,000-300,000 miles with little major problems. When they are no longer usable, scrap them. This is no different than the way things were done 50 years ago and further back, when maintaining a vehicle exceeds the value, it may be time to be done with it. Older collector cars, most folks have twice the money as a new vehicle in them, and they are well maintained. These are not the people these laws are aimed at.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.