is it the caliper, or the hose collapsed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

is it the caliper, or the hose collapsed

im trying to think of a good way to tell if its a collapsed hose, or the caliper piston thats frozen causing stuck front brake on a 98 achieva i got to go work on later

any idea

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 12:45 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

All the delaminated hoses I've run into were bad in such a way that the fluid was blocked going into the caliper, not in a way that would cause the caliper to seize up on the rotor. Even if it did, it would only be momentarily until the fluid "leaked" around/past the delamination.

On a '98, I'd just about bet it's the caliper.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Loosen the bleeder...Collapsed hose will free up the caliper, and a stuck piston won't care if the bleeder is open or not.
later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If this thing is rusty underneath, check the bracket that holds the hose from fouling on the suspension. The center of the bracket can rust up bad enough to cause the hose to be pinched and will make the brake drag.

Might take a close look at the hard line to be sure it's not been pinched shut as well.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:05 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ive had a 79 chevy van that a collapsed hose and it caused a stuck brake.,
so it is extremely possible.
also same on this 91 chevy truck we have in the shop right now that we are replacing the basically dead 342k miles numbers matching original 305 in.
a bad hose causing a stuck brake has actually been more common than i expected over the years..
and applying brakes is alot of pressure through the hose.
letting off the pedal is lower pressure back up the hose. cant do it when hose is collapsed., so stuck brake. you gotta think backwards on some stuff'

bleeder screw idea is good that should do it

i shoulda thought of that one haha duh

the rusted hose bracket thing is really good too!

im sure its a rusty one its got a ton of miles on it he says and he drives it alot every day.... im sure its beat bad

going to go fix it really soon here as soon as the guy is home from work any minute now

thanks!

update:

well replaced the caliper for hi last night, could not see any rust in the bracket that holds the hose back and the hard lines all perfect condition, i first applied the brakes and then check the rotor and it wasnt frozen in place and there was no pressure in the caliper when i opened the bleeder so i was kinda stumped and decided that i guess the hose is not the culprit on this one. and went ahead and replced the caliper

so far so good i havent heard anything from him since and he was super happy he even gave me 80 bucks for doing it and it only took like 20 minutes to do. he said he just moved down here from alaska a year ago, and he told me all about what its like up there.,. apparently now they now pay you 6000 or 6500 a year to live there thanks to that sara palin pulling some strings?? hmmm... he didnt like the heat at all down here, it was 95 all day and he wasnt happy lol. i like it... its great, screw winter time. i hate that stuff. this heat kicks *** he said that oil work up there is 25 an hour starting out..... wow...

the car is actually pretyt nice 130k miles 98 achieva runs drives excellent and clean body and we own one identical to it same color and all, and he knew about it already.
i was like yeah we own that one and its for sale.
then he says his is for sale too, and he only is asking 700 for it.
i told my stepdad who owns the other one, and he is interested and probably gonna snag it up and clean it up some, and resell it for profit,
i would do the exact same if i had the cash on me.
i got this repair job from craigslist site just poking around on it yesterday.
i told him to spread the word for me that i'll repair anything i can for anyone.
not just at the private shop we own.
and it was even only two blocks away from here lol. weird stuff.,,,,
welp im out, gotta figure out if i want to work at the painting job today or at the restaurant, or at the shop today, too many job choices to choose among hmmmmm...... uhmmmmm....

thanks again!

Last edited by fast68; 05-25-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.