Call me stupid - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Call me stupid

This isn't the first engine I've re-built, granted they have mainly been Ford lumps and as I got older I have let other people get dirty. But now I've got this British V6 Essex lump, I'm going to re-build it and optimise it to use E85 and any other mostly Ethanol Bend. Once I've done I'll probably have to build a still or buy fuel on ebay.
It will have an extra 10hp per whole digit increase in compression. Like most Ford's built in England in the 70's it was designed to use 4 star Leaded petrol in an engine with a compression of 9.5 to 1.
The combustion chambers are in the piston top and the heads are nearly flat. I thought I would just swap the pistons for others of the same diameter made for Fords but flat crowned. It seems that English and American Ford engines differ in piston compression hight so I had to get some con-rods too. I'm not going to gas-flow, fit a hot cam, or anything until I know what hp he engine churns out. I still haven't bought new brakes but until I know what the hp of the engine I don't think I will.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

What is your question?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Re: call me stupid

haven't actually got one, I thought the lounge was somewhere were if you said what you had or what project you were involved in other members who done similar things might chime in. Apart from that using ethanol gives you more power per cc and doesn't pink. I want to build an engine that runs efficiently on fuel I can make myself, not be held to ransom to buy it by Middle Eastern despots. I consider it my patriotic duty not to buy petrol because it is made from oil which comes from the Middle East. I think I'll make a still and make my own white lightnin' not buy E85 it's 15% Petrol. NATO wants to be fuel independent ASAP.

Last edited by Yachtsman; 08-19-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Kudos to you Yachtsman.
We have a guy (thumpin455) who runs, loves and advocates the use of E85 . Way cool. I am not an expert on it, but I understand you can run real high compression, like 14 to 1 .
Also the higher the compression , the more efficient it is than at lower compresion ratios, and that means more power and/or mileage.
Why not post a few questions in the basic or general rodding section and see what you can come up with.
I would love to run alcohol, and a blower. My budget wont allow it, but I would like it nonetheless. Alcohol isnt available where I live in Pennsylvania , and right now I have plenty of projects that keep me busy.
I would bet your V 6 running alcohol could be a snappy runner. All you need is a little help from some friends.
Oh and the E85... gasoline is used to help in cold start up. Other than that its not needed.I am sure that would be easy to get around so as to run 200 proof
Old 08-19-2012, 10:07 PM

Re:call me stupid

You can run Ethanol blends at high compression because it doesn't pink(at all), not just at 14 to 1, as high as your block will let you, perhaps 20 to 1. What ever gasoline has got in in that pinks, it isn't ethanol. The block I've chosen was designed at Ford Dagenham to use diesel as well as petrol it looks like a 302 six cylinders not eight but it's heavier and way stronger. Even if it turns out I've double, triple or even quadruple the compression more likely the head gasket will blow. The more compression he more POWER and the better mileage Gasoline is used to supposedly make the ethanol vaporise at temps below 10 degrees centigrade all you'd need is a little 12v heater though injection engines don't need that they atomize the fuel like an aerosol insead.

Last edited by Yachtsman; 08-19-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.