Calling all Pros......I NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Post Calling all Pros......I NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE!

Okay guys I have a serious delima I need some assistance on.

Three weeks ago My wife and I bought a brand new Chevy Trail Blazer. It had a problem with a seal on the back hatch door, and she took it to be replaced today. When she picked it up it had a 6 inch scratch on the drivers side door right through the paint to the primer.

They said they would repaint the door. This concerns me alot. I am not crazy about having a 30,000 dallar vehicle with 800 miles on it be repainted in any form of fashion. I just know all of the problems with initial matching, paint aging, and heaven forbid catostrophic failure down the road. It just does not seem fair that i have to take the shaft on a brand new vehicle. The only other thing I can think of is a replacement door.

I need to know if anyone knows if factory painted new doors are available from chevrolet.

If not, I need to know if anyone knows the exact process chevrolet uses on the new vehicles and also the type of paint. If I do let them repaint the door, I want to know that I am getting a product that will last as long and fade at the same rate as the original paint so down the road it does not look different.

If you guys think I am being too anal here please let me know. I am just so afraid if I let them paint the door I will not be satisfied or could have problems down the road.

Let me know your opinions on what I should do, please. Any input is appreciated. I have to go down and talk to them tomorrow and I would like to know what my options are and what I should expect so I dont get the shaft(like I have already)

Thanks,

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2003, 08:10 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Most dealerships anymore do a good job at touch-ups and repaints. The paint products have come a loooong way from what they used to be. To answer your question, No they do NOT come prepainted, the dealer/bodyshop does the painting, and they are just as durable as the factory paint on the vehicle because they bake the paint at the dealership.Pretty much the same process as factory paintshop uses but on a smaller scale.
Other than the fact that I too would be HIGHLY pissed because I would've already taken in a $30k truck with 800miles on it to get something fixed...but then the scratch on the door too?!
Time to trade it in already...I would say that you should be ok with them fixing it...but if it ISN'T right, make them fix it until it is!
Later,
WEIMER
Old 05-22-2003, 08:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

One of my main concerns is also with the fact that they will be adding a second paintjob to that door. We all know that as paint get thicker it is more prone to chip. I just want the thing to be like new....since the rest of the damned car is. I have heard it is somewhat more tricky getting good adhesion to the factory baked paint. I know that they will probably just mask the inside and repaint the outside. The remaining seam seems like a good place for the paint to chip or start to peel in the future. I have seen several repaints on new vehicles where the paint starts to come loose at the mask line after a couple of years. Maybe I could demand some kind of warranty on the work for the life of the existing paint job. I just dont know.

I just hate this crap. It is actually my wifes car, and her first brand new one. I had to listen to her crying on the phone tonight on my drive back to Texas because she is so upset and afraid it will not be exactly right. I share her concerns.

Chris
Old 05-23-2003, 04:50 AM

It might take time, but perhaps you could find one of the same color in a wrecking yard that still has the original paint. I would assume that the factory's facilities have controlled conditions that would give consistent color - probably a better match than the dealer will be able to get unless they tinker with the mix.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

A good paint shop will match that paint perfectly, especially with a new vehicle. The better paint stores have computers for coming up with the right mix to match existing paint, with a new vehicle it shouldn't be a problem. thickness of the paint shouldn't be a problem if the job is done right.the clear coat will need to be removed to get the job done correctly, the base coat is super thin. i wouldn't be concerned as long as you're satisfied with the quality of work. and as weimer says, MAKE them do it right.30 grand is a lot of money. Dan
Old 05-23-2003, 10:00 AM

As hard as it might be, make sure to go in there with the right attitude. Don't come across outraged, keep it cool and be persistant. You are a memeber of this forum, because you obviously have a love for cars and have knowledge of vehicles. That's how you should come across as a customer that has knowledge and someone who spent 30 big ones at their store. People tend to shut you out if you are yelling or outraged. If you are persistant, and come across as someone who knows what's up they will listen. Don't add alot of emotional upheavel, just demand satisfaction. I would see what they could do about replacement, because of your paint concerns. After all, you have a lot of connections in this forum that they probably wouldn't want all of these people to know that they can't come through for you.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Well, turns out when I get home to actually see the problem I have been told about the guys and my wife did not really know what they were looking at. Should have known, the scratch did not pentrate the clear coat and was buffed out in a matter of minutes.

Sorry for the distress call. I was working off on bad information and was much calmer when I saw it for myself.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Chris
Old 05-24-2003, 08:48 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Turbo...I am glad that you go the problem taken care of. For general information... they would not have replaced the door for damage to the paint. If it had needed to be repainted to repair it, it should not have been a problem in a qualified shop. If the spot is not right at the edge, they could have done what is called a blend to make sure of the match of the paint. They would have basically sanded the clear coat on the whole door and spot painted the color coat without masking that spot. That way the color fades/fogs at the edges of the spot. They then clear the whole door. If done properly, it would never be seen. It is nearly impossible to mix the paint to match perfectly, even the people that mixed it originally. The blending process makes up for that minor difference.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:33 PM

Let em paint the door. You have no choice actually. It's only paint. Unless your saving the vehicle for someoneelse,us it. That's what you bought it for right. Things happen. Tough to get a new vehicle damaged, i hear ya. It'll be just fine.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.