Calling the DOC..66 Impala headlight switch issue - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 11:30 PM
www.airriderz.com

Wiki Edits: 0

Calling the DOC..66 Impala headlight switch issue

I rewired my car last summer and I have been finishing up all the loose ends.

Everything is working except my tailights.

Here is how my headlight switch is wired minus the green wire ( backup lights)

That is not my actual light switch but it shows the correct wiring position. If I turn on my headlights my tailight do not come on. If I run a hot wire directly to my tailights (brown wire left of blue wire) the tailights will come one.

Now I do not have the green wire ( backup lights) hooked up on my headlight switch. But after reading my wiring schematic and looking at the headlight switch the tailights seem to get their power from the backup lights ( green wire). The taillight terminal and backup terminal on the headlight switch are joined toghether by a brass piece. So I jumped at hot wire to the back up terminal on the headlight switch. The tailights would come on but not shut off? What am I missing.....???

Turn signals, headlights and brake lights all work. And tailights will work if I supply a hot wire directly to the taillight wire. But I can not get the tailights to work by just pulling the headlight switch on???

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 01:07 AM

Last photo:

Snick

It look's like you have a really good wiring diagram. I've alway's just taken it just one wire at time (having alway's done it by scratch) how ever your parking light's are on the same circuit as Your tail light's. I hope this help's If knot post again I will try to help more.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here ,

Your problem is very simple ...

you mis-wired it.

FIRST: Backup lamps NEVER go through a headlight switch ..AND they should be green with a BLK tracer not green..Their correct configuration will be , one wire from the fuse marked "Backup lamps" to the backup lamp switch..then directly to the backup lights..should all be Green/Blk wires. NOT the same circuit..

The Tail lights are Brown on the vehicle side, at all the lamps up to the switch..It receives it's power from the green wire FROM the headlight switch which goes to the "Instr Lamp Fuse" on the fuse panel..This wire supports power to the tails and the instrument lamps (used to be the way we could tell the tail fuse was blown when driving at night..the instrument lamps were out ) This circuit has nothing to do with the backup lamps..

The backup lamp fuse is on the switched side of the fuse buss, the tail lamp / instrument fuse is on the "hot at all times" side of the buss.

If you follow your own drawings out , at the bottom drawing the brown goes back to the headlight switch..then the green from the head light switch goes out ( and off the drawing and re appears on the top drawing as a green) and goes directly to the fuse panel.

That should correct it.

Doc
Old 06-01-2006, 02:20 PM
www.airriderz.com

wire

Doc thanks as usuall. I got the green wire on the schematic mixed up with the back up lights. So the green wire (instrument panel light wire) that "excites" the tailights must be powered from the big blue headlight switch at the fuse panel? Is this correct? On my six six Impala the first pull of the headlights should turn on the taillights correct?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

The Green From the headlight switch goes straight to the "instrument Lamp" fuse.

The Blue, Or main Headlight power will Go directly to the wire that supports the main fuse buss from the starter and fuse link . Headlights generally have no Fuse in the panel but are protected by the fuse link and a thermal reset inside the switch.

This is why the headlights work without any support from the rest of the system (key on, Acc..Ect..)

When you pull the switch to the FIRST détente, all the PARK lamps should light if it is wired correctly AND the switch is functional.

Doc
Old 06-01-2006, 03:18 PM
www.airriderz.com

wire

Doc last summer I installed the EZ wiring kit so I did a completel rewire of the car. So the green wire coming into the headlight switch should be the instrument panel light wire, correct??? So on my system where does the tailights get its power from? Because I have tired three different headlight switches and all have the tailight terminal dead no matter what position the headlight switch is in.....

Dave
Old 06-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

OK, first we must assume that EZ is using stock GM Color wire ('I believe they do..)

NEXT, The "Instrument Lamp " Fuse wire (Green) From the switch, Provides power to the tail lamps and instrument lamps both..It does not provide an output to the instrument lamps..that is another wire.

I am not sure I know what you mean when you say the tails are dead center on three switches, unless you are talking about the brown next to the heavy blue on the plug.

THAT wire is tail light OUTPUT not fused INPUT. That wire gets power from the Green wire "instrument lamps" fuse, and is internally jumpered inside the switch..when the instrument lamps go on, so does the tails..(or park actually)

The reason it tests dead, is BECAUSE there is no power on the GREEN wire on the switch.

To test the theory, just set your DVOM for OHMS scale, R X 1, and put one probe on the brown wire terminal, and the other on the green wire terminal..with the switch off..it should be infinite..now turn it on to the first detent, it should read 000, then the second detent, IT should read 000..this is correct..

just hook power to the green , and it should work normally.

Doc
Old 06-01-2006, 03:46 PM
www.airriderz.com

Quote:
THAT wire is tail light OUTPUT not fused INPUT. That wire gets power from the Green wire "instrument lamps" fuse, and is internally jumpered inside the switch..when the instrument lamps go on, so does the tails..(or park actually)
Thanks Doc I knew a green wire needed to be hooked up to the headlight switch to make the tailiights work. I just could not figure out from the schematic which one..... Ha ha....

I will get the rest of the wiring loose ends done tonight and report back....

Dave

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.