Calling Early 50's Chevy Sedan Gurus (with pictures) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 08:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Calling Early 50's Chevy Sedan Gurus (with pictures)

I picked up a few cars off of my grandpa's farm. The one is trashed and was only bought for parts to begin with. The other ran when it was parked. It is the first car my dad ever drove. We want to get that one going again this winter.

I need your help though. No one can make up their mind what year these cars are or what model they are.

The first one is the one that is trashed. A four door. I pulled the grill off of it already to clean it up (still in decent shape, what is it worth?) From what I can tell by searching the net it is a 50. I think it is a belair. But I dont know if they made a 4 door. The hood ornament is just a rounded bullet shape, no wings or figures.

Here is the grill:

The front (sorry its blurry I must have moved):

And the Rear:

Now the other car that is in much better shape is a 51. This much I know because I found papers in the glove box. I believe it is a Styleline because of the grill and the hood ornament. i am not sure if is the Deluxe model or not. This car does not and did not have any moldings on the side because there are no hole where they may have been mounted. Also, if this helps the rock guards on the rear fenders and rear doors are a rubber/plastic and not metal. I am not sure if this helps or not. On to the photos

I would appreciate any input on this. I dont need to know exactly what they are. Especially the 50 Sedan. But it is nice to know

I thought I would include a pic of our last restoration project., since I am new to the board. It's a 79 Ford F-250 (460ci, 4.10 gearing), aka Yeller. Dad ordered this one from the factory.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2004, 09:48 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

i', not sure or an expert but i would say thats a 52 sedan and i have no idea about the specific model sorry i couldn't be more help.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Be American, Buy American!

No its not a '52 it is a '50 DeLux

Al
Old 09-09-2004, 04:50 AM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

Oh yeah!! It's a '50 and i want your grill and rear bumper!!!!!!!

Heres a link to help sort out what you have.
http://1946_54chevys.250free.com/
and ask around here
http://www.chevytalk.org
Some very helpful folks.

Please let me know what you plan on doing with the '50 parts???

C

Last edited by fat50; 09-09-2004 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info guys.

I was almost posotive that the green one was a 50. from what I could see a 52 has the same style grill as the 51 I pictured but the center cross bar had ridges what looked like teeth. The overall shape of the grill was no where near the 52.

Thanks for the links. I will get to looking around there when I get a chance.

As for selling the grill and rear bumper. I will forwarn you that the bumper is not in very good shape. Maybe once could salvage it, but very unlikely. The grill, in my opinion, is in great shape. There are a few scuffs and some rusted pits here and there. The pits can be cleaned up fairly easily. I don't think the scuffs can be though, it would be ok for a daily driver. For show, one might want to have it refinished. There are also about 8 or so dents in it. Each one can easily be tooled out if you were to refinish the grill. I was just going to polish/clean it up as is. Blast the backside of the grill and the bare metal and repaint those parts, then sell it as is. If you plan on refinishing it I would just let it be. What is it worth?

I also have quite a few trim pieces I have taken off. The hood ornament can be cleaned up nicely as well as the trunk latch. There is nothing left of the interior. The guages are still there, but the glass has been broken out. As far as body panels. A few doors might be fixable as well as the trunk lid. The fenders would take some work though. There are quite a few bullet holes. More than I can count on my fingers so I had to stop since I had shoes on Let me know what you are looking for and what the pieces are worth. i am sure we can work something out.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

Yes, the green one is a '50. I have no idea what the value of the grill would be? I'm missing the lower bar and sheetmetal off of mine (where the hood latch bolts on). ****, i dont even know what would be a good offer (dont want to offend by low balling)

C
Old 09-09-2004, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

If you want to PM me with an offer we can work on it from there.'

That way no one else with think your cheap. If I think the offer is low I will not get offended so long as you dont get offended when I tell you I think it is low.

How does that sound?
Old 09-14-2004, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

Hey Fat50

You still interested?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

Yes, i'm interested but, i dont know what shipping cost would be? It may out weight the price of the parts.
What is your zip code and weight of the grill?

I'm in the process of selling my parents house, so i'm going to checking back in the lounge every couple a days.

Sorry for being so flaky on this, i gotta lot of **** going on.

C
Old 09-14-2004, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

The grill can't be but 20-30 pounds. But what might get you are the dimensions. It might be considered an oversized package through Fed Ex, or UPS.

Anyway zip is 58601

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.