Cam Bearing Question.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2006, 07:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cam Bearing Question..

I have a question for the machine shop guys.
I've never done this, but I'm going to install cam bearings in a '66 327. I noticed that the bearings are 2 different OD's. Am I correct that the larger bearings go in positions #1 & 5(Front & Rear), while the smaller ones go in 2,3 & 4?
Also, It looks like the center bearings (2,3 & 4) have their oil holes located at the top of the bore, but what about 1 & 5.
Thanks in advance,
JA

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

#1 BEARING IS ALL TO ITSELF
#2 AND #5 ARE THE SAME
#3 AND #4 ARE THE SAME.

Drive your bearings in with the engine sitting on a table. If you do it on an engine stand, you won't be able to center from the rear of block to properly install the front bearing.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for that info.
What about the oil holes. It seems the bearing bores all have a 360 degree groove, so I don't know that it would matter much. How wrong am I?
JA
Old 06-04-2006, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Oil holes don't go to top of block, on the inner bearings. Properly, they are installed so they oil the cam in the major thrust plane. Line up with the second hole in front bearing..

I once had a 3970010 factory "Repair" block that had all no.1 bearings in it. That was fun! and Expensive!!
Old 06-04-2006, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

OK, I went out and looked at the front cam bearing bore.
I saw a groove around the circumferance, and a hole at 12 o'clock and another hole at 6 o'clock.
The bearing for position #1 has 2 holes in it? (I don't have the bearings yet)
If so, how is the front bearing supposed to be positioned in the bore.
The bearings in it now are obviously installed wrong, because the 3 center bearings have their holes at the 12 o'clock position.
I'm confused.
JA
Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 AM

Last photo:

Front cam bearing has two oil holes. Properly installed at about 12:00 and approx 4:00 clock position. The rest at approx 4:00. I see a lot of factory blocks that the front bearing upper oil hole is just past 12:00 and the lower hole is likewise at about 5:00 clock position. This is supposed to oil the bearing at highest rotating load point.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:52 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:

not trying to thread jack "but" how do you know if their deep enough or to deep in the bore? the jack *** that used to do my work just lined the holes up with the main bearing oil holes. looks to me like that would be like putting your finger on the end of a water hose & putting pressure on it. enough pressure & you will stop the flow.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:29 PM

Last photo:

Well, I got the cam bearing tool from the UPS man and I've now put in my first set of cam bearings.
Thanks to NAIRB & BOBCRMAN.
It's amazing how smoothly things go when you know what to expect and have the right tools.
No worries about jacking the thread. I've gotten the info I needed, so now use it for your needs.
As far as where to place the bearings depthwise: I just sorta centered them in their bores and when all were done, I put the cam in and looked to see how the bearings matched the cam journals. Thay looked good to me.
Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I'm happy.
Thanks again NAIRB & BOBCRMAN.
JA
Old 06-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The position of the oil holes is hotly contested by alot of guys. For years, the holes were lined up. This caused absolutely no problems. Now, they turn them at different positions as Bob mentioned. As long as you have an oil supply to the oil hole from the groove behind the bearing, it's going to be fine. I know alot of guys that still line up the holes with the holes in the mains, and they'll do it no other way.

The rear cam bearing(5) is the most difficult to install, because you have to drive it in further than it appears you should, and you have to insert a paper clip or get a flashlight to make sure that you have driven it in far enough to get feed from the groove.

Here's another very important tip:

Be certain to be careful when you drive in the rear cam plug. If you drive it in too far, you can push the camshaft forward, causing the camshaft lobes to fail, and you will wear out the timing chain too. I drive it in just enough to be in there. I have also beveled the inside edge of the plug and driven it in backwards for plenty of clearance.

Brian
Old 06-06-2006, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

Nairb,
After completing the cam bearing installation and installing the timing chain cover,pan and heads, I saw your last post. I thought, man, I don't want to tear back into the engine to check the rear bearing oiling hole, but I'm sure I must have put the cam plug in too far. (I drove it in till it stopped.)
So today I pulled the timing cover and the pan and sure enough, I had to drive the rear cam bearing another 3/16"-1/4" to get it over the oil groove.
I made sure all the other bearings were over the grooves and put a new cam plug in. I checked and the cam has about .080" -.100" clearance between the rear end of the cam and the cam plug.
I would have definitly had problems. Probably NO oil would have gotten to the rear cam journal, and the cam, lifters and timing chain probably would have failed.
Thanks for all the help,
JA

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.