Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - cam bearing tool, help
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 07:58 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
I purchased a cam bearing installation tool from Summit along with a set of new cam bearings. Here is the tool http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL96470/ it almost seems to me that the tool is to short. It says it is for installing cam bearings in a small block chevy. Is a V6 considered a small block chevy? If you enlarge the picture at the link you can see the grip part on the handle, if the alignment bushing would slide up past them dimples on the handle then the tool would be long enough. I can get all but the front and rear bearings installed. I even tried sliding the alignment bushing off from the shaft and place it further in the block to use the inner cam bearings to align the shaft but I couldn't get it to lay down in there any way I turned it. The block is a 93 sbc 350 with a 1 piece rear main, do the older blocks have a larger cam tunnel or anything like that. Here are some measurements on the tool.

Overall length of shaft is 24"
Length from where the bearing butts against the bushing to around center of the taper on the alignment bushing is slid as far back as it will go until it hits the dimples on the handle is 18 7/16"

I didn't have the machine shop install the bearings because when I seen this tool I figured for just a few more dollars I could have the tool to do it. It would have cost me 25 bucks to have the bearings installed. Any suggestions on this besides telling me to have the shop do it would be appreciated. I am interested in owning a good cam bearing tool because this will NOT be the only time I use it and if anyone has any recommendations for a certain one throw me a link.
I should have looked at the specs on this tool before my other comment . They short changed you on this tool . It should have come with an extension for doing the end bearings. 18-7/16" is definitely not long enough. Grrrrr. I'd call the people at Summit and talk to one of their techs and let them know that what they are selling does not do the job that it is advertised to do. I would definitely not be happy.