cam bearings - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cam bearings

If a cam bearing has spun inside the engine will it affect oil coming up through the pushrods.

I have no oil coming up through the pushrods. All 3 plugs behind the timing cover are in, no oil coming out from back of engine. 60 psi of oil pressure. I am not getting any oil to the top of the engine at all. I have done the distributor prime thing for 15 minutes straight. Even if I wasn't rolling the engine while priming I should still get oil to just the one side right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 09:09 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
If a cam bearing has spun inside the engine will it affect oil coming up through the pushrods.

I have no oil coming up through the pushrods. All 3 plugs behind the timing cover are in, no oil coming out from back of engine. 60 psi of oil pressure. I am not getting any oil to the top of the engine at all. I have done the distributor prime thing for 15 minutes straight. Even if I wasn't rolling the engine while priming I should still get oil to just the one side right?
Question #1 - If a cam bearing has spun, you can have lower oil pressure due to leaks around the bearing, but it won't affect lifter oiling as the center galley feeds the cam and rotating assembly and not the lifters, just the two outer galleys feed the lifters and valvetrain.

Question #2 - Not if the rear-most lifter is up the bore so that the oil band around the lifter body is no longer aligned with the oil galley hole. Oil pressure from the rear of the galley to the front is intermittent, not steady, due to the lifters moving up and down in each lifter bore and blocking the passage in turn.

Have you removed the rear lifter on each side and checked for oil flow into the lifter bore from the pressure oil passage while running the priming tool?? This is the first step in the chain to determine how far the oil is traveling (or not traveling) in the system.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

valves not getting oil?

I had made a priming shaft from an old dist ( cut off the top which held the rotor button drove the pin from the cam gear and slid it off the shaft then from the housing and ground the teeth from the cam gear, take a little extra off to insure it clears the cam) I have a lathe an used it to cut the top off and turn the teeth off. It had oil pressure but didn't get oil to the valves. I took the old dist. housing and cut the top off just above the hold-down ring (with the shaft removed) and reinstall the shaft. (I marked the shaft at the top of the cut and removed the shaft and cut a groove around the shaft for a lock ring to hold the shaft in the housing.
Reinstalled the primer and lock it down and gave it a spin ( used the starter with the plugs out). After a min. or so I had oil to all the valves. I did rotate the crank while spinning the pump.
I don't know what it had to do with anything, but I'm thinking that the rings around the dist. housing (which I though were to stabilize the housing had something to do with the oil flow to the valves.
After about 5 Min's., I readjusted the valves.
hth.s
Old 08-24-2009, 06:46 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

I removed all of the lifters and spun the priming tool while turning the engine over and felt no oil coming through the lifter oiling hole. If all of the lifters are removed should I drop oil pressure if everything was right? When I spin the priming tool I have 60 psi of oil pressure with or without lifters in place. I removed the timing chain cover and gears and I have oil running out around the front of the camshaft and crankshaft, it just kind of runs out, should it like splatter all over and make a mess everywhere without the timing cover in place? It just runs out the end of the shafts and back into the oil pan. Is there such a thing as a blocked passage from something and if so is there anywhere I can blow like 100 psi of air with a rubber tipped nozzle into the oil passages?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.