Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cam Bearings
Thread: Cam Bearings
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 07:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Could you tell me a little more about how "almost impossible" it is to change cam bearings in a motor still in the truck? I have a strange case, I bought a new engine, 350 Chevy, from a rebuilder. Put it in, tried to prime the pump and nothing. Rebuilder didn't know what was wrong said to crank it and see what happens. Did that for 2 or 3 short runs and still no oil pressure. Finally figured it out, had a dirt dobber build a nest in the oil line from the pump to the filter. Who knew that would happen. He missed it in the steam cleaning and the rebuild. Anyway, cleaned it, cranked it, got oil pressure, but damage was done. The rebuilder is standing behind it, so as a first try to bring the pressure up he replaced all the bearings on the bottom end, helped some but still low. Now we both agreed that it is in the cam and bearings. We decided instead of pulling the engine now and starting over I will just drive it and see what happens. But question remains, if I wanted to try to fix the remaining bearings how much trouble would it be? or would it last as is? This is just a stock motor, no hotrodding on this one. Runs about 20 # down the Hwy, run about 10# at high idle, will pull up to 40-45# hot, cranks up at 60# Thanks for reading this rambiling, any help would be great, Paul