Cam Bearings and Core Plugs (SBC 350)89 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 11:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cam Bearings and Core Plugs (SBC 350)89

Need some help before I go back to the machine shop. Don't want to as the last time I went there they forgot to put the intake in the truck, put me a week behind, and then forgot my crank. Don't like dealing with people that I have to follow up behind....

1989 5.7L SBC TBI Chevy Silverado

CORE PLUGS: (Freeze Plugs)
I have started to install the set of plugs given to me and I have all of the big ones in. (Was the big cam one to go in before the cam bearings??? Now I have a few little ones left over and I'm not sure if I have made a mistake. I'm aware of the two big ones on the sides, two in front and two in the back with third cam one. I'm also aware of the three threaded plugs in the rear of the motor above the cam plug and the three core plugs in the front of the motor above the cam opening. Are there anymore that I have missed? I have at least a couple of threaded plugs (small) in the kit, and a few of the small core plugs, left over with no place to go. Is this normal to have extra or have I missed some holes that the machine shop took out int he acid bath that I MUST replace?

CAM BEARING INSTALLATION:
This engine has the cam bearnings out of it as of an acid bath. I need to put them back in. I remember doing this in high-school shop class (25 yrs ago) and I had a special tool. I don't have that tool and really don't want to go back to the machine shop as I have her on the stand, painted and ready for assembly. Is there an alternative way to get her done (safely) in my shop? Thanks for any help.

Mr. Tripp
Augusta, GA 30906

Ultimate Do-It-Yourself-er!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2007, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

cam bearings should be installed starting at the back and working towards the front of the engine. You must line up the oil holes correctly too... the bearings also have to be pounded into the correct place using the correct tool. bearings should be marked stating the order they go in
The cam plug/cap should go in after the most rear bearing (bearing # 5) otherwise you wont know if the oil hole in the cam bearing is lined up correctly.

Dont forget the small pug that goes in under the oil pump. I know alot of people forget this, most machine shops realize this and will do it for you but some wont. If you foget this you will have oil pressure problems.

I pretty sure what I stated is right... if not, I hope someone will correct me
Old 03-18-2007, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Ok, let me see if I have this right...

I have looked at the bearings and I can see they are numbered by serial number 1-5 with 1 being the front one and 5 being the last one.

I will need to purchase a took and I would rather do this and have a tool and the experience of doing it myself then I would having someone else do it.

I have inspected the block and was concerned about the plug you talked about in the rear main bearing #5. With the engine bottom up I can look down and see the four holes in the main bearing cap area. There are two holes for the bolts that hold the cap, there is one hole that would seem to be the hole for the oil pump/distributor drive shaft to go through and there is the last whole that I do notice there is a core plug inserted. It looks as if this plug was not removed by the shop. Is it possible that they just forgot it? Should I take it back and ensure the job be done right, that of cleaning that passageway?

I have installed the cam plug and will have to tap that out and clean up the sealer off of the bearing to ensure the cam bearing is seated fine.

I did notice that four of the bearings 2-5 have only one whole in them and the front #1 bearing has two holes in it. Some have said to just place the block on the bench and not on the engine stand. This will help me with access to the rear of the engine but I don't know whether to set it on its bottom or on the head side. Which side is faced up, which is down?

"bearings should be marked stating the order they go in" Mine were in the kit with the serial number on them and the 1-2-3-4-5 indicated by the serial number. If I'm to understand you right the 1 on the sheet is the bearing to be inserted first and at the rear of the cams travel (next to the cam plug)?

When I do get the tool and start, do I slide the bearing down into the engine near is final insertion place and then mate it with the tool. I think this is the only way isn't it.

Finally, I did notice that most bearings have only one whole and the block a grove... which way do I face the whole, towards the top of the motor (one whole I see) or the bottom (main bearings) lubrication holes? Same goes for the 12/4 holes in the front or back bearing...which is up and which is down with the holes?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

Plug Count on SBC motor....

I want to put this out there as my understanding of the number of holes that should be plugged....

8 - large holes in front rear and left and right (2ea)
1 - larger cam plug whole in rear of motor
3 - small core plugs in the front of the motor near cam hole
3 - small threaded plugs in the rear of motor near cam plug hole
1 - small core plug in rear main bearing cap area.

Are there anymore anywhere that need to be plugged or addressed? I have two coming out neare the oil filter mount and one has a oil pressure sending unit with brass adaptor in it and the other will receive a threaded plug to my knowledge. Another sending unit whole (threaded) is at the top of the blocks intake deck and receives a sending unit.

If I have missed anything, please inform me. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2007, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

ok, ill try to answer all the question the best i can, if i miss one..sorry.

standing in front of the engine number one bearing will be the first hole. this bearing will be different than the rest. facing the engine you will want to start with number five bearing and work towards you.
with the engine right side up (as if in the vehicle) you will want the oil holes at the 12 o'clock position (?), numer one bearing is 12 and...4 o'clock (???). Some people use 3 o'clock but GM uses the 12 o'clock position so thats how I have install them. Make sure the holes are in the center of the of the oil grooves too.
You can install the bearing while on the stand. The cam plug may be difficult and may have to adjust the stand to be able to pound it in from the back.

are you sure that the shop didnt install that small plug for you? it should have been taken out by them to be propery tanked.
If you at the back of the engine looking down where the pump should go. this plug will be on the right hand side down inside the block.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Got it!

Sounds good. I seem to be finding everything you are saying is what I'm looking at here.

I'm not sure if the plug in the main bearing was put in by them or just left out. I will find this out Monday. The plug doesn't look new and the bag they gave me with the kit was not opened. Soooo, I'm thinking that they just forgot to remove this one.

I will remove it to put the bearings in and understand that the oil hole should be faced upwards toward the cam or top of the motor in regards to the oiling hole.

I have yet to get an answer about inserting them...do you just slide them through the main bearing slots and into position or to they go in the cam holes from front to rear. I mean as you pass them in the block to get them near their insertion point. By this I mean would it be something where you placed bearing #5 onto the tool and slid it all the way back to five position and it would be engineered to pass through all the 1-4 holes and fit tight into 5? Or, would the tool pass and then be married up with the bearing when you got back there?

Thanks!

Mr. Tripp
Old 03-18-2007, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

to pound in the bearings flip the engine upside down. insert the the tool alway down to number five bearing and then place the bearing in up against the cam journal where its suppose to be pounded in. mate the cam bearing installation tool up against the bearing (making sure the hole is now in the 6 o'clock position and the bearing is square and flush with the journal) ...commence pounding till the oil hole is center on the oil groove. repeat for the following 4 bearings going in this order 5,4,3,2,1
Note- dont mix up the bearings. the OD of the bearings differ.

(number one bearing will only go in number one. then something like 3&5 are the same and 2&4 are the same... something like that.)

PS- If you pound number one in to far your fuel pump push rod will not make contact with the cam cause it will hit the bearing

I assume this is a bare block right... no crank, rods or pistons?. I dont think you can install bearings with the pistons in
Old 03-18-2007, 03:34 PM

Last photo:

here is a pic of the bearing tool. the end on the left is insterted into the journal and is mated up against the bearing .the round part in the middle towards the right slides up and down the shaft and is inserted into the first cam bearing journal as to center the tool so you get a nice flush punch on the bearing. you then pound on the handle (far right) to bang the bearing in. I beleive Jegs or summit sells these tools. I assume they are the same as mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1617.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	19578  
Old 03-18-2007, 04:18 PM

Last photo:

I'm so happy you saw my posting....

Hey, you are something else. Great job at explaining it to me. I did this 25 years ago and I don't remember the size difference but did see it on the paper that I got with the bearings. I will have no problem getting that part right as the numbers are stamped right on the bearings which show their location.

The tool you showed me is exactly the tool that I just bought on ebay for small block chevys. I did wonder what the slide thing was for but can clearly see the bearing sliding over the end and located near insertion and the right slide going into the number one hole to center the bearing and then me pounding away on the end of it.

I will ensure that the oiling hole is pushed in far enough to align perfectly with the grove in the bearing seat.

Another tip I learned from a friend who I called was to insert the tool from the rear forward to do the last one. That way the tool will help align the bearing in the front of the motor. My only question to that way is if the tool you showed and that I ordered will fit into bearing five...I don't think it will so that way may have to go and I will just put it in the front as square as I can get it.

Thanks for your help. I may post some pics of our ongoing project.

Mr. Tripp
Old 03-18-2007, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

the tip (part that contacts the bearing when pounding them in) will remove from the shaft... mine does anyway.

after pounding them in and before installing crank, rods/pistons slide the cam in to make sure it fits and doesnt bind. Oh, and be sure not to push the cam all the way through the other side if you havent got the the cam plug in yet !!
Old 03-18-2007, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

Thanks!

Thanks, I should get to it later this week. I will let you know how it went through this thread.

Greg

If I forget, remind me. If you don't, hey thanks for all of your help.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:13 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

If your using a stock cam and stock springs then stock replacement cam bearings will work fine, But if your using a high lift cam with more spring pressure you may want to up date to a performance cam bearing like a Durabond CHP-8 or at our shop we use the ACL 3349 which is an alumimum cam bearing which is stonger then any of the performance cam bearings out there.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:18 PM

Last photo:

RV Cam

I believe I have stock bearings. I just took what they gave me and never really thought there was a difference. I guess I figured they all taste the same.

I'm putting a cam that is susposed to have a bit of performance in mind while still maintaining good economy. An RV cam or towing cam??? Whatever the heck that is.

I think the standard bearings will work fine for this application. Let me know what you think if you disagree.

By the way, my son will be going to his least favorite RECREATION location (school), then he will be TOWING his own *** home with it...hehe.

Mr. Tripp
Old 03-18-2007, 08:56 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandl2123
I believe I have stock bearings. I just took what they gave me and never really thought there was a difference. I guess I figured they all taste the same.

I'm putting a cam that is susposed to have a bit of performance in mind while still maintaining good economy. An RV cam or towing cam??? Whatever the heck that is.

I think the standard bearings will work fine for this application. Let me know what you think if you disagree.

By the way, my son will be going to his least favorite RECREATION location (school), then he will be TOWING his own *** home with it...hehe.

Mr. Tripp
If your using an RV cam and stock springs you should be fine but if you up date to a better head with better springs and better cam shaft you may run into trouble.

At our shop we install the performance cam beraings in all the blocks we prepare for our customers.

Good luck with your build Carl
Old 03-25-2007, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

You ever get these in?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.