Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Cam Break in Period... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cam-break-period-226207.html)

fastnloud 11-17-2012 06:12 PM

Cam Break in Period...

I just had my Lunati 300 flat tappet cam and lifter set put in my 82 GMC Sierra that has a built 350. I used Valvoline VR1 and lunati cam break in lubricant.

Do I need to treat the truck any different during this break in period? Is it ok to let it idle and warm up, before I drive it somewhere?

How long do I need to leave this oil and break in fluid in the truck before changing to just straight Valvoline VR1?

Truck is running excellent, I just don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks guys :cool:

hcompton 11-17-2012 06:23 PM

Did you or the shop do the proper cam break in letting it run at 2k for 20 minutes or what ever the cam manufacturer recommends.

Usally after that and tuing you change the oil and take it for a drive. Usally i use zddp aditive for the first few changes. But thats just my insurance plan. But break in lube should be flushed out in first oil change before it get hot in traffic and normal driving.

fastnloud 11-17-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcompton (Post 1612440)
Did you or the shop do the proper cam break in letting it run at 2k for 20 minutes or what ever the cam manufacturer recommends.

Usally after that and tuing you change the oil and take it for a drive. Usally i use zddp aditive for the first few changes. But thats just my insurance plan. But break in lube should be flushed out in first oil change before it get hot in traffic and normal driving.

I didn't ask him if he run it at 2k for 20 minutes but I will check on it, also I'm not sure if he already flushed out the break in lube or not, the truck isn't running hot though.

Thanks for the help.

hcompton 11-17-2012 06:29 PM

Let me rephrase that: assembly lube out, break in additive ok.

fastnloud 11-17-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcompton (Post 1612445)
Let me rephrase that: assembly lube out, break in additive ok.

Oh, ok. Is assembly lube those little packages that were in my cam and lifter box?

I had some lunati break in additive for him to use in the oil. So, I should be fine to drive 3000 miles on it and then just do a standard oil change?

cobalt327 11-17-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastnloud (Post 1612446)
Oh, ok. Is assembly lube those little packages that were in my cam and lifter box?

I had some lunati break in additive for him to use in the oil. So, I should be fine to drive 3000 miles on it and then just do a standard oil change?

Here is the whole deal, all in one place: Cam break in

fastnloud 11-17-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1612465)
Here is the whole deal, all in one place: Cam break in

Thanks for the link :)

Plaintoast 11-18-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastnloud (Post 1612436)
I just had my Lunati 300 flat tappet cam and lifter set put in my 82 GMC Sierra that has a built 350. I used Valvoline VR1 and lunati cam break in lubricant.

Do I need to treat the truck any different during this break in period? Is it ok to let it idle and warm up, before I drive it somewhere?

How long do I need to leave this oil and break in fluid in the truck before changing to just straight Valvoline VR1?

Truck is running excellent, I just don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks guys :cool:

hey nice avatar, that looks familiar!
here is some info on our recommended cam break in procedure on flat tappet cams.
i suggest dumping the oil after about 500 miles.
*** this article is probably five years old. we now use cam2 or amsoil break in oil instead of the rotella/stp combo.

tech_article_engine_breakin

fastnloud 11-18-2012 09:14 PM

Thanks, and yeah I found the avatar on google images haha