Cam Break in Period... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 PM
fastnloud's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 131
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 86
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cam Break in Period...

I just had my Lunati 300 flat tappet cam and lifter set put in my 82 GMC Sierra that has a built 350. I used Valvoline VR1 and lunati cam break in lubricant.

Do I need to treat the truck any different during this break in period? Is it ok to let it idle and warm up, before I drive it somewhere?

How long do I need to leave this oil and break in fluid in the truck before changing to just straight Valvoline VR1?

Truck is running excellent, I just don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks guys

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2012, 05:23 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Did you or the shop do the proper cam break in letting it run at 2k for 20 minutes or what ever the cam manufacturer recommends.

Usally after that and tuing you change the oil and take it for a drive. Usally i use zddp aditive for the first few changes. But thats just my insurance plan. But break in lube should be flushed out in first oil change before it get hot in traffic and normal driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to hcompton For This Useful Post:
fastnloud (11-17-2012)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 PM
fastnloud's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 131
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 86
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Did you or the shop do the proper cam break in letting it run at 2k for 20 minutes or what ever the cam manufacturer recommends.

Usally after that and tuing you change the oil and take it for a drive. Usally i use zddp aditive for the first few changes. But thats just my insurance plan. But break in lube should be flushed out in first oil change before it get hot in traffic and normal driving.
I didn't ask him if he run it at 2k for 20 minutes but I will check on it, also I'm not sure if he already flushed out the break in lube or not, the truck isn't running hot though.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Let me rephrase that: assembly lube out, break in additive ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to hcompton For This Useful Post:
fastnloud (11-17-2012)
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM
fastnloud's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 131
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 86
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Let me rephrase that: assembly lube out, break in additive ok.
Oh, ok. Is assembly lube those little packages that were in my cam and lifter box?

I had some lunati break in additive for him to use in the oil. So, I should be fine to drive 3000 miles on it and then just do a standard oil change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnloud View Post
Oh, ok. Is assembly lube those little packages that were in my cam and lifter box?

I had some lunati break in additive for him to use in the oil. So, I should be fine to drive 3000 miles on it and then just do a standard oil change?
Here is the whole deal, all in one place: Cam break in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
fastnloud (11-17-2012)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2012, 06:12 PM
fastnloud's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 131
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 86
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Here is the whole deal, all in one place: Cam break in
Thanks for the link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mora,MN
Posts: 422
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnloud View Post
I just had my Lunati 300 flat tappet cam and lifter set put in my 82 GMC Sierra that has a built 350. I used Valvoline VR1 and lunati cam break in lubricant.

Do I need to treat the truck any different during this break in period? Is it ok to let it idle and warm up, before I drive it somewhere?

How long do I need to leave this oil and break in fluid in the truck before changing to just straight Valvoline VR1?

Truck is running excellent, I just don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks guys
hey nice avatar, that looks familiar!
here is some info on our recommended cam break in procedure on flat tappet cams.
i suggest dumping the oil after about 500 miles.
*** this article is probably five years old. we now use cam2 or amsoil break in oil instead of the rotella/stp combo.

tech_article_engine_breakin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 PM
fastnloud's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 131
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 86
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, and yeah I found the avatar on google images haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cam break in johntm Hotrodding Basics 39 12-02-2013 02:44 PM
Look at what we found during the break in period!!! camaro freak Engine 61 09-11-2007 10:19 PM
Oil to use during break-in period. TVR383 Engine 6 10-30-2005 06:24 PM
break in period Terry411 Engine 6 02-07-2005 10:24 AM
Synthetic for break in? What weight ? (engine and cam break in that is) sizemoremk Engine 5 08-14-2003 04:50 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.