Cam ? Cant find # or manufacturer? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Don't assemble that engine, say its cracked or whatever to get out of working on it. No matter what good will you have that disaster will haunt you since you were the last set of hands in it.

Thats a reputation disaster right there, don't get sucked in...walk away.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 02:17 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck View Post
Don't assemble that engine, say its cracked or whatever to get out of working on it. No matter what good will you have that disaster will haunt you since you were the last set of hands in it.

Thats a reputation disaster right there, don't get sucked in...walk away.
Thanks Chuck You Considering my reputation is a friendly thing for a person to do

My reputation is very good and sound and this is not going to hurt it, in my area I have very loyal customers that still come to me even after I retired! And my qualifications are well known!! This little comedy of errors is laughable If I wanted to hide it or was worried about my reputation I wouldn't have it on the world wide web and the novices will see this damage and know this is not the right way to do a repair! and will also be warned about some of the crap being sold on the internet !!

I think I'll hand dress the valve tips to get by Ive done that on roundy round claimers to finnish the races for that meet, and use valve lash caps to protect them from further damage for the time being I still have to clean all the parts, and carefully remove the carbon from the heads and piston domes and dress them up, The aluminum heads were poorly machined and have flashing not cleaned up and edges like razor blades and left over material burrs from machine drilling the holes were not deburred at the factory!and I'll dress the head stud holes that the stock bolts cut into! these heads were of terrible quality when bought new last year even for an Ebay buy!

You know its funny when I used to seriously drag race we did things like this in the pits just to get one or 2 more pass out of a damaged engine!! And no one blinked an eye LOL and when you made it to the staging lights the people in the stands would applaud and whistle because they thought the car was through and going home on the trailer LOL And then we would build a new engine for the next weeks races! I'm kind of looking at it like that !

Just get it running for now and able to move it around and replace the engine soon after all the other repairs are done. If the owner doesn't do that he is an IDIOT!!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 04-26-2014 at 02:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. Not a bad looking 'Vette for $2K... I prolly would have grabbed it myself... even the seats look good from what I can see of them... I wouldn't fix the windows... just take out the T-Tops and only drive it on nice days... like the early Dodge Vipers that didn't come with windows or tops...
Old 04-26-2014, 11:46 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

LOL The drivers seat is shot, too big a diameter front tires hit the front of both front fenders ripping off the lips ,the "A" frame bushings are all metal to metal the wireing is a cobbled mess so are the vacuum lines that control everything the rest of the body is nice though and the rest of the drive train is pretty good!!

Jester
Old 04-26-2014, 11:56 AM
More for Less Racer

Take a close look at the rear trailing arm bushings, and the frame where they connect(forward of rear tire) for rot, rust, and frame cracks. It is a known trouble spot for those years.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
LOL The drivers seat is shot, too big a diameter front tires hit the front of both front fenders ripping off the lips ,the "A" frame bushings are all metal to metal the wireing is a cobbled mess so are the vacuum lines that control everything the rest of the body is nice though and the rest of the drive train is pretty good!!

Jester
. LOL! ... A picture can hide a thousand sins...! ... '68 Vettes known for body cracking at frame mounts...

. Couple years ago a dealer up your way had a red ~'86 Vette pictured on eBay for ~$3850... claimed it was really nice shape (prolly had the usual hidden faults, but, for the price...)... I sent the link to my Buddy in Belleville, Mi. since he has always wanted a 'Vette... but he didn't seem interested... he later inherited a fairly new car, I told him to sell it while it still had a good price/value and buy a 'Vette, but he still didn't move... don't know why... on his blog he claims to already have a 'Vette (but, he doesn't)... guess he just got old (but younger than me... LOL!)
Old 04-26-2014, 01:19 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLOL View Post
. LOL! ... A picture can hide a thousand sins...! ... '68 Vettes known for body cracking at frame mounts...

. Couple years ago a dealer up your way had a red ~'86 Vette pictured on eBay for ~$3850... claimed it was really nice shape (prolly had the usual hidden faults, but, for the price...)... I sent the link to my Buddy in Belleville, Mi. since he has always wanted a 'Vette... but he didn't seem interested... he later inherited a fairly new car, I told him to sell it while it still had a good price/value and buy a 'Vette, but he still didn't move... don't know why... on his blog he claims to already have a 'Vette (but, he doesn't)... guess he just got old (but younger than me... LOL!)
How old are you buz? put it in your BIO (About me) Its really good to know someones age I can relate to them better if I understand the era they grew up in!!!

Jester
Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. I'm 66... don't put my birth info in my bio because that can be used by hackers to access financial info...
Old 04-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. Eric put this link in another thread... really should put those in this engine... they're almost free:

Stainless Steel Performance Valve Set, Chev SB, 11/32" Stem, 1.940" Int. & 1.500" Exh., Set of 16 - Competition Products

. Or next size larger...
Old 04-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

Quote:
I was told a little while ago the flat tappet cam is almost 550 lift by the old owner, as you can see even in these bad pics all the lobes are flattened out only one has any lift left and it isn't worth checking!!
Ive never seen a cam with every lobe completly wiped out!!
Jester
. And you also said further above that the valve springs were so weak you could easily push the valves open by hand... now it's all starting to make sense... 5000 RPM springs on a 7500 RPMs cam... during valve float the lifters hammered the lobes right off the cam! And the rocker arms with the resulting huge lash hammered the valve tips out into mushroomed tops... and as the cam lobes got shorter, the engine prolly revved higher till float and the owner thought the engine was finally 'breaking in' and pushed it still higher/harder... LOL! ... And he loved that 'solid lifter' sound/ticking...
Old 04-30-2014, 03:11 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLOL View Post
. And you also said further above that the valve springs were so weak you could easily push the valves open by hand... now it's all starting to make sense... 5000 RPM springs on a 7500 RPMs cam... during valve float the lifters hammered the lobes right off the cam! And the rocker arms with the resulting huge lash hammered the valve tips out into mushroomed tops... and as the cam lobes got shorter, the engine prolly revved higher till float and the owner thought the engine was finally 'breaking in' and pushed it still higher/harder... LOL! ... And he loved that 'solid lifter' sound/ticking...
I fully agree, a lot of us older guys have seen this before, with engine builders?hot rod owners that don't have a clue about what they've screwed together, or how to adjust it, or even what it sounds like/acts like when it is eating itself to death. They just think that the missing/shuddering is finally the cam broke in and "loping" like it should
Old 05-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. Get this motor going yet?
Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Last Wednesday I talked him into running a set of world heads and I set them up over the weekend , and an Advertised Duration 280/280, Lift .480/.480 comp flat tappet cam kit and matching springs,or I was walking out and he could get someone else to put this thing together!!! So what did he do Wednesday LOL " Some guy at the parts store told him he would be happier with a 425 lift and 214 duration" so he ordered it!!!!!

I told him to call me when he received the 480 lift cam I needed to match the converter (stall 3500 B.S. old builder told me) not some cam a parts guy recommended! Well he called Friday ! And now the cam I recommended I installed ,Waiting now for head bolts and gaskets should be here tomorrow then when I install the heads I'll see what size push rods I will need? I offered him 50 bucks for the trashed aluminum heads LOL

I'll keep you posted

Jester
The Following User Says Thank You to painted jester For This Useful Post:
OneMoreTime (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

It is interesting and educational to see what really happens in the world of engine building. Lot of times we need to do what we need to do to get the job done.. Good deal..

Sam
Old 05-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

Quote:
I offered him 50 bucks for the trashed aluminum heads LOL Jester
. Sounds like you're learning how to handle him better now... LOL

. Whether the 214/214 heads or 230/230 heads I would also take into account the compression ratio available...

. I picked up a brand new pair of aluminum LT4 heads for $85 at the Saginaw swap once... apparently had been part of an engineering display at one time... one needed the as cast intake to head surface milled yet... and the rest of the valve seats and guides obtained and pushed in...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.