Hot Rod Forum banner

Cam choice

10K views 37 replies 5 participants last post by  Wezz 
#1 ·
Hello i am wesley . And i am from holland. I am rebuilding a 305 yes i know its not spectacular but its my first v8

I wil geve the engine a edelbrock performer manifold with a edelbrock 600 carb also i want a better camshaft. . So now the question what cam can i run on a stock engine . I was thingking of the edelbrock performer plus 2102 but can i run it with my stock valvesprings ?

Thanks

#31 ·
Ok. I have still 2 questions . On the summit website they recomend. Also valve springs. By the crane cam .. Bij the edelbrock they did not its a bit wierd .. Dnt you think so . And question 2 has porting the exhaust valve any sense

#32 ·
1. There are many wierd things on this planet, including some of the people on this site. Bottom line, ALWAYS use the valve springs recommended by the cam grinder for that particular grind.

2. Porting the exhaust valve? Well, you don't port the exhaust valve. You port the exhaust port. That's why it's called porting and not valving.
You'll notice that the 114112 cam has different duration and different lift from the intake valve to the exhaust valve. This additional lift and duration on the exhaust side seems to help some on heads that don't flow as well on the exhaust side as they do on the intake side (true of most production heads).

You have the option of grinding on the heads any way you want to, they're YOUR heads.

#33 ·
weird person chiming in,,lol.
Torque is what you feel in the seat of your pants. This is why stroker engines are so popular now.I built a stroker for the torque and was very happy with the results.Back in my youth we build 283s for high RPM. We had 3 speed transmissions and the race was won or lost in first gear. Now adays if you have a 4 speed people think you are behind the times. Using 5 speed transmissions and torquey engines and you feel like you are driving a race car and still get daily use with the over drive. Low RPM engines last a long time

#34 ·
Wezz,
Take a look at this Popular Hotrodding 305 engine build before you start buying parts. If you're dead set on keeping it a 305, then as mentioned the right cam and heads will be needed to get more out of it.
At the very least you should consider having a machinist upsize the valves and springs if you go much over stock with a cam.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/en...667_phrs_305_chevy_engine_blocks/viewall.html

#35 ·
Ok thanks . And no i dont expect 370 hp haha. Thats a realy nice engine . I keep it with that cranecam or edelbrock .. Not sure wich one its gonna be. And keep the 187 heads. I wil take the exhaustports nice with the gasket. And.thats it but thank you all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.