Hot Rod Forum banner

Cam choice

10K views 37 replies 5 participants last post by  Wezz 
#1 ·
Hello i am wesley . And i am from holland. I am rebuilding a 305 yes i know its not spectacular but its my first v8

I wil geve the engine a edelbrock performer manifold with a edelbrock 600 carb also i want a better camshaft. . So now the question what cam can i run on a stock engine . I was thingking of the edelbrock performer plus 2102 but can i run it with my stock valvesprings ?

Thanks

#2 ·
I think that is a nice choice. Summit SUM-1102 may save you a few $.

Allthough not entirely nessessary, I would change the valve springs. It is a small investment,around $30-40 for a decent set to compliment that cam.

New valve stem seals while your in there also.

#6 ·
First you say you're rebuilding a 305 and ask what cam to use. Later on, you tell us that the cylinder pressure is 159 pci (I assume you meant psi). Do you currently have a running motor, but plan to tear it down for a rebuild? You couldn't have checked cylinder pressure unless the motor was somewhat together.

#21 · (Edited)
In my opinion, your plans are flawed. You're thinking that you will gain some power by camming up the motor and using those low-rpm heads. Ain't gonna happen. You'll end up ruining a perfectly tractable motor. If you want more juice, pop for a 350 to begin with. I realize you're in Holland, but there must be some 350 cores there.....somewhere.

The swirl port heads were meant to make good power down low in the rpm range with a stock cam and I just don't see spending your money effectively with them as a base to begin with trying to make more power.

If you're gonna be hard-headed and stick with the 305, then at least purchase some decent heads for it....
http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-30300002&autoview=sku

#22 ·
no no im not expecting the world is going to bounce haha my underblock is in a good condition so i want to keep it what i want is to get out what there is in it .. the cam what i would like to use is like a edelbrock performer they told me its for more tq i know the heads ar swirls bud a little intake and out ports flowing cant be to bad for the engine .. btw 240 hp is nice for in my van ..haha

#24 ·
Any camshaft that you bolt into the motor will have an operating range of ~3,500 rpm's. It will allow the motor to make power from idle to 4,000 or from 2,000 to 5,500 or from 3,500 to 7,000 or whatever rpm range you wish to use. AGAIN, the heads you have are optimized for low-rpm operation and will not be compatible with a camshaft that wants to operate at a higher rpm range. I continually harp on "combination", "combination", "combination because you must use parts that complement each other. If you use a longer cam with those fosdick heads, you will kill off bottom end power by virtue of more cam timing. Any power that you may make on the top end as a result of more cam timing will be killed by the heads. There's no free lunch.

#25 ·
so what cam wil you recomend to my stock setup ( only flowing the ports) rest is stock dont say not anny cam wil work there are people withe same engine as me and done it before with another cam im not looking for a high performance drag engie but just a little better than a stock 305

#28 · (Edited)
Here's the Crane cam....
Crane PowerMax Cam and Lifter Kits 114102 - SummitRacing.com
Here's the Edelbrock I might use....
Edelbrock Performer-Plus Cam and Lifter Kits 3702 - SummitRacing.com
I like the Crane cam because of the 104 degree lobe separation angle, contributing to low end torque. The Edelbrock cam uses 112 and I don't care for that. It favors higher rpm's, something you will not see with your heads.

I might also use this cam....again,....104 degree lobe separation angle and a little more lift than the 114102 cam.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-114112

Here's Crane's description of the 114112 cam.....
Great for 305 and 350 engines in cars, light and intermediate trucks with optional gearing (or shorter tires). Good low and midrange torque and HP.
Grind number 2020
Oprating range 800-4400 rpm's
Part number 114112
Use lifters 99277-16.... Use springs 99848-16
Duration @0.050" tappet lift 194/204 254 104 (7) 21 .000 .401
Duration @advertised 254 / 264
Lobe separation angle 104 degrees
Intake open/close (7) / 21
Exhaust open/close 26 / (2)
Valve lift 0.401" / 0.423"

Read through this tutorial several times to make sure you understand the precautions of using a flat tappet cam.....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Camshaft_install_tips_and_tricks

#29 ·
oke thanks so the crane cam and edelbrock plus are a little like the same onley the edelbrock has a higher rpm but now the question hom much hp wil i get with my plans an a cam like one of these ,

thankyou for the explainations .. here in holland the know not much about it haha

#30 ·
Back up and read post 29 again. I added some stuff after you posted. Pay particular attention to the Crane 114112.

Your question about hp cannot be answered intelligently. There are too many variables. You might just as well ask "how long is a piece of string?"
Once you get everything together, take the van to a facility that has a rear wheel dynomometer. Multiply the rear wheel hp that you get by 1.25 to get close to flywheel hp.

One last thing, please stop harping on hp. Torque is what you want, not hp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.