Hot Rod Forum banner

Cam choice for 65 Ranchero---late 5.0

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JeffB 
#1 ·
Have an engine at the machine shop getting rebuilt.
It is a 93ish 5.0 from a pickup.

Acquired a 5.0 HO block and crank from my local pick-n-pull that was already out
of the car, because I wanted the flywheel and balancer.

Upon taking this block apart, I found it had a nearly new roller cam in it.
E303 with .31 lift on the lobe.

Most of what I read on this cam is that it is usually installed on a FI car (Duh!), and I can't find anything about it being installed in a NA car.

I am wondering if maybe this is too much for my little "Old Blue"

I was looking to build a "Fairly Stock" HO for this thing, but a free cam is a bonus---if it will work out for me.

Looking for a nice smooth idle----100% streetable car with mild mannerisms, but will still make me grin when I "Hit It"

Apparently the cam is good from 2500-6000, and a suitable cam for the late Mustang GT with FI, but my little ride will have a carb.

That little Falcon only weighs about 5 pounds--(all over the front wheels) and has a 4-spd.

Will this cam be okay for my intended use??

See less See more
#4 ·
Same crank in both engines I acquired
Got the mustang engine just for the balancer and flywheel
Machinist guy is checking the rods from the mustang engine as we sit.

Both of the engines should be 50oz imbalance, but the truck engine had connecting rods that seemed a bit lighter than the Mustang engine.

Both appear to have the same balancer----the truck engine had a huge weight on the flexplate----the Mustang engine had a huge weight cast into the flywheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.