cam choices for a 305 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 08:13 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

cam choices for a 305

My first project is putting this (1979 Nova) 305 in an 85 S10 w/410 rear end and most likely a turbo 400 trans, just a little street machine/ sometimes daily driver. I have some 305 (L30)Vortec heads for it and my wish list includes an Edelbrock 7516 airgap RPM Performer with a 600CFM 4 barrel of some type.
The intake may change based on the budget or if there is something that works better better for this application.

I have read enough about cams to be dangerous. It looks like Lunati gets pretty good marks and they have a "Bare Bones" kit that is well priced. Less than $100
#10000LK 204/214 Dur .420/.443 lift 112LSA
#10001LK 214/224 Dur .443/.465 lift 112LSA

The question is, what difference will it make in the ride/performance of the truck? The specs are very similar but there must be a reason they offer both. For my set up is one better than the other, or does it matter? They cost the same.

Along those lines, new stamped 1.5 replacement rocker arms are about $52 and roller tip rockers are about $104. Nice to have but does it really make a difference? My vortec heads did not have any rockers on them.

Thanks- everyone has been really helpful so far

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 08:34 AM
More for Less Racer

The larger of those two cams will be a little more radical acting in a little 305 and will need a 2500-2800 rpm stall converter for best results. That is about the only difference.

You may want to get the regular Performer RPM rather than the Air-Gap if this is much of a driver, the Air-Gap takes a longer time to warm up and not be sluggish in a street vehicle. Both make identical power within 2-3 hp. If it is always going to be driven in 70+ weather than this won't matter so much.

Don't waste you money on the stamped roller tip rockers, it is a sales gimmick. The roller in the tip is not very effective, the real place that needs a roller is the pivot point(fulcrum), like the aluminum and stainless body race rocker arms have. At your cam size and performance level a stamped stock type rocker will be just fine.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:55 AM

Thanks Ericnova72

Just the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I'm leaning toward the smaller cam It keeps the lift under .450 for the heads
Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 AM

Also bear in mind that vortec heads require self-aligning rocker arms or a rocker guide, so factor that in when making your choice. I have 062 heads on my 350, and recently snapped a rocker stud due to a lack of spring retainer to stem seal clearance. Your cam specs should be fine for stock heads, but be sure to check the spring retainer to stem seal clearance to be sure. After the break, when I mocked up, I found a clearance of only .436 so check yours first and avoid issues later. If you need to add some clearance, comp cams makes cutters that are pretty straight forward and can be had for about $110. Well worth it.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 PM

I found a machine shop that will machine the guides for $35 I think I will invest regardless of which cam I use. Seems better safe than sorry. Anything will be an improvement over the 2.5 w/80HP

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.