Which Cam to Choose? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last journal entry: The Paint Shop
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Which Cam to Choose?

Dear everyone,

I'm about to start a new SBC overhaul and have below parts ready to go with. I used the same parts for a previous 350 SBC about a month ago with Edelbrock Performer Plus Cam Kit #2102, but for this new project I will need a little bid more serious engine.
I've already got:

-Edelbrock Heads 64cc #60909
-Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Intake #7501
-Holley 750 CFM Double Pump
-1.5 Ratio Rocker Rollers from Summit
-1-5/8" Flow Tech Full lenght headers
-GM Forged Crank
-Speed Pro Flat top pistons (+.030") with 4 valve relieves (which will deliver 10.2:1 compression rati with my 64cc heads)
-Melling stock replacement oil pump
-3.73 rear end

I do not have Cam yet?
I'll be driving the car over the weekends mainly on the street and strip. Any suggestions for the cam to deliver the best torque and/or HP? I need at least +400 of HP and Torque for this car.

I'm stuck between Edelbrock's Performer RPM Series Cams which are supposed to deliver 420 HP's and 408 ft/lbs of Torque with a compression ratio of 9.5:1 and other brands such as Comp Cams and Lunati.

What range of power will I get using a Comp Cam 270H with this engine? Is it a good choice? Don't really want to go for a poor idle and low vaccum for power brakes, etc.

Thanks very much for all the comments and suggestions.

Houman SS '70

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2005, 03:56 PM

Lunati has a great choice of cams. Everything from mild to wild. they can also give you advice and tell what the best cam would be for your application.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:57 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

cam vs carb

I would have chosen 2 valve relief pistons. Would have got you 10.4 compression. I would step down to a 650 cfm carb. Every sb I build I use the Crane 302H06 cam.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

I would use a comp cams 280 magnum 230dur@.050 .480 lift rpm range 2000 to 6000. Ive used that cam twice. with your similar set up. LOVE IT! sounds good too! Ditto on th 2 valve relief pistons.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:44 AM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Thanks for the advises.

Bracketeer, ain't 302H06 too much for my application? I mean the idle is gonna be very poor? Right? And it will definitly affect my power accressories, doesn't it?

And after all how many ft/lbs or Hp's will I get with that? Anything close to what I want?

Regrading the 280H Magnum cam, I think that's a good choice as well, but as Comp Cams catalogue says, that will most probabely affect my power accesories and will also need a torqe converter.

Do you guys have any dyno's with the cams you mentioned?
Any comments about 270H?

Thanks very much.

Houman SS '70
Old 04-02-2005, 02:46 AM
489 Lemans

Last photo:

torque convertor

If you don't have a convertor you are in trouble. The Edelbrock cam requires a torque convertor. With the size of carb you have you are going to need a fairly large cam. If you don't want to purchase a torque convertor. You will definitely have to drop down to a 650. The largest cam recommended by Comp for no stall is the XE268H. I used it in a 350 exactly like yours and pulled appx 400 HP. As far as the Crane cam goes. I have a 79 Vette with vacuum headlights and power brakes. No problems.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

I got the 270 magnum cam with my last engine build and I love it. The idle is fair with it. It also has a darn good powerband. It gave me great low end power and will pull steady for as long as I care to take it. It is recomened that you use the valve springs comp. suggestfor the cam. I only have a slightly higer then stock stall (around 1200) which IMO is too small for this cam and at least in my car would work much better with a bigger one. (slightly over 2000)

Chris
Old 04-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Thanks for the advise Bracketeer. I can actually change the carb to a 650 cfm double pump, because I already have one. But do you really think that the xe 268h will give me +400 of Hp? And how about Torque?
I can later on change the torque converter to a 1500 stall TCI Street Fighter, but do you think that going with a 270H or 268H and even the 290, can use the stock torque converter for a couple of month? I'm out of money somehow!
I am planning to overhaul my th 350 with TCI's Pro Super Kit, then I can also change the converter.

And Chris thanks for the advise, do you have any dyno's for your engine? Anything over 400hp's.
Sorry guys but I've never used such cams for my engines, I really don't know if they are really streetable or not?? Are they?

Thanks very much.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Well Houman...I have AFR heads so that does help a bit. I have not had the engine dyno tested yet but AFR built almost the same engine I have You can look at the test HERE

It's the one under the top two thats says 355. They used the 270 cam. Made 430 hp at 5500 and 470ft lb at 4500...

Not sure what your heads would do with it but You may be darn close to 400 hp. IMO

Chris
Old 04-02-2005, 10:53 AM

engine dyno info

you can chek out this site for dyno tests and combinations that closely resemble yours. www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos11.html
Old 04-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Thanks Chris. I actually checked out the AFR website and found your combo there! It seems that you've got a hot engine under the hood.

I should ask you the following questions:

1- What is your intake? ( is it the same as the combo?)
2- And your Carb?
3- Is it good enough in the street? Specially when using a higher than stock converter? Any Overheating problems in the traffic?
4- Have you got a external tranny cooler?
5- What are your valve springs? The ones that came on the AFR heads or comps? Do you think that my Edelbrock Head valves will be good enough for this cam?
6- And finally do you have enough vacuum for your power brakes?

IMO as I studied the Comp Cams catalogs the 270 is the most practical(streetable) of all the cams and I think that I'll just go with that. I just hope that I'll have enought hood clearance with the RPM Air Gap Intake.

I also checked your project journal out, I also had all the body mounts of my 1970 Camaro SS replaced with Prothane Urethane mounts. So did the same with all the suspension bushings.
The interesting part was the my Rear leaf spring bushings were the original factory GM rubber bushings and they were in fine codition.

Enjoy your car.

Houman
Old 04-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko.17
you can chek out this site for dyno tests and combinations that closely resemble yours. www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos11.html
Ko. 17, Thanks for the URL. I checked it out it's a pretty cool website.

I think that I'll be using the same cam as Chris has used the 270H by Comp.

Take care,
Houman
Old 04-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketeer
If you don't have a convertor you are in trouble. The Edelbrock cam requires a torque convertor. With the size of carb you have you are going to need a fairly large cam. If you don't want to purchase a torque convertor. You will definitely have to drop down to a 650. The largest cam recommended by Comp for no stall is the XE268H. I used it in a 350 exactly like yours and pulled appx 400 HP. As far as the Crane cam goes. I have a 79 Vette with vacuum headlights and power brakes. No problems.
Bracketeer,
Thanks for the advise.
I checked the AFR's dyno result on the 270H, I don't know what the advantages or disadvantages of the AFR intakes are with Edelbrock's but as far as I'm concerend they used a 600 CFM Carb with the 270H.

As you suggested I'll take the Holley 650 DP, and use it with the Comp's 270H. My Edelbrock 60909 Heads have 64 cc chambers with 170 cc runners, comparing to AFR with 180 cc runners, but I don't know how much that will reduce my power, I think I will loose mainly on the upper rpms, not on the lower end.

Anyway if you suggest any better Intakes than the RPM Air Gap for my combo, I'll really appreciate it.

Thanks for your comments.

Houman
Old 04-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Houman,
Intake is the edl. performer Which works good enough for the combo but it would fair better with the RPM series. I also looked into the AFR intakes. For the money they seem pretty good.

Carb is a 600CFM Vac. 2nds Holley. I had a 750 DP on it and it ran well and would be fine with tuning but I find that I get much better throttle response with the 600 and better gas mileage. It seems to feed the engine fine.

I have had to problems over heating. I have a 4 core BeCool rad. but as far as temps go I have no problems at all. Sitting in traffic it idles fine (1000 RPM warm)

With the 1200 stall in it (TH 350 with shift kit) I don't run a tranny cooler if I moved up the the 2000 ish stall I would though (more stall = more heat)

I used the springs that came on the AFR heads. I asked the question here as to weather they would work with the cam and the answer was they would work fine. Find out what the eld. springs are rated for. AFR is rated to almost .550 of lift. so find what your heads springs are rated to. I also used the 1.5 roller rockers.

Power brakes work fine. The cam really is not all the extreme. I mean you can hear the idle sitting in drive. As for the power acc. it has no real effect.

All around the driveablity of the engine is great. Working on the car durning the winter I was able to start it up and have it idle without problem after a few mins. of warm up. I have to complaints about it.

Chris
Old 04-02-2005, 09:40 PM
489 Lemans

Last photo:

heads and intake

Quote:
Anyway if you suggest any better Intakes than the RPM Air Gap for my combo, I'll really appreciate it.
Actually I just purchased an RPM/Airgap for my new 400. One thing you need to know. The AFR heads are quite superior to the Edelbrocks, so is the price. They can reach up to 50 more HP over the Edelbrocks.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.