Cam companies? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 11:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cam companies?

Hey guys, I'm really enjoying the site so far, lots of good info and knowledgable people here.

I've been away from the hobby for 20 years or more and am just coming back to it with this old truck I'm tinkering with. "Back in the day" , I don't remember so many different companies making cams. Maybe they were around and I wasn't aware of them, but about all I remember was Crane, Lunati, Isky and Crower in the catalogs I used to order stuff out of. Now, with the advent of the internet, I see a whole lot of different companies I'm not familiar with.

So, with that in mind, who do you like? Comp Cams seems to be real popular but I was wondering, are there any hidden "jewels" out there I might be overlooking because I'm not familiar with them? And I notice Summit has their own line of cams at prices that seem too good to be true, anybody using them? Good quality?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 12:11 AM
More for Less Racer

Schneider, Bullet(morphed from UltraDyne), Howards, CamMotion, LSM, Jay Allen's Camshaft Innovations, Mike Jones Camshafts, Elgin, Delta Cams are a few I can think of besides those you listed.

Bullet is really popular with the high hp crowd, as is LSM and Jay Allen.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

I used to deal with Ultra-Dyne, and was always more than satisfied with the results. Instead of selling you "one of the cams we have on the shelf"..you know, the 'fitzall' stuff......they would spend time talking with you about your vehicle. They wanted to know the weight, transmission and converter, what other parts you had in your engine, and all other pertinent information. Then they would grind a cam to fit your specific application.

I imagine that is more common these days, by many companies. But I was sorry to hear about the demise of Ultra-Dyne. Hopefully, Bullett will carry on the tradition. Incidentally, I read where Harold Brookshire, who founded Ultra-Dyne, is now working for Lunati. They always seemed to make good cams, so may be a good place to go, with Harold's expertise added.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:23 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

I think Harold/Ultradyne was bought out by Lunati yes/no?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

No.Ultradyne beclared bankruptcy,and was bought up by Bullet.Here is UDHarold Brookshire's "resume";
1969---Went to work for State of Mississippi as computer operator, rose to be lead operator at CDPA, Central Data Processing Agency.
1972---Began working on cam design program in my spare time.
Dec 15, 1972---Sold 310AP SBC solid to Reed Cams, Georgia, for $125.00.
1973---Made $3000 selling to Reed, Isky, Engle, Norris.
1974---Designed Reed's RxxxULX line of rollers, and a lot more, including Benny Parson's 1975 Daytona 500-winning cam. Also Shirl Greer's TF/FC NHRA National Champion Nitro Funny car cam, designed for Norris, and it was a True Chrysler flat tappet, with .438" lobe lift.
1974---Became General Kinetics' cam designer, worked with people like Bill Jenkins and Jack Roush on the cams for their ProStockers.
1976---Jenkins wins Pro Stock Natinal Championship, with GK doing large-barrel cams.
1977---I start in January with Competion Cams, as their original cam designer. Over the next 3 years, I design them hundreds of cams, including the 268 High Energy. I introduce them to the unsymmetrical cam.
1979---I write them their 1st in-house cam design program. Before that, we shared a program with Cam Dynamics.
1980---After negotiating since late 1976 for some stock ownership in Competition Cams, I leave and start UltraDyne on April 1st, 1980. The 1st month I design the 288/296F5 and the 288/296R6, the 2 most popular cams I ever made.
1981---In September, I hire my 1st employee, Mike O'Neal, who ran my shop, made all my models and masters, etc.
1982---We're running 2 shifts, from 7:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Tim Goolsby comes to work for me, he is Mike's brother-in-law. I also design UltraDyne's first hydraulic cams, such as the 272, the 276, the 288/296H.
From then on until 2000, we all just worked. UltraDyne grossed over $1.2 Million a year from 1990 to 1999.
2000---A number of independent factors began to take their toll---Federal Mogul acquiring my 2 major solid lifter core manufacturers, and their later Chapter 11, Lifter companies disappearring, tremendous cash-flow problems in the end of 2000, initially triggered by the UPS strike---We lost around $50,000 in the strike.
2001---A un-named cam company in Memphis hires 8 of my 12 employees, and 2 more just leave because they think --that's it. Only Tim and Gail are left with me.
2001-2003---UltraDyne is in the Chapter 11 'Death Spiral'. I take a $0 salary for 2002, and pump all my, and my wife's, retirment money into UltraDyne, along with all the equity I could get on my house, etc, etc, etc.
June 2003---Everything is gone, the government locks the doors.
August 2003---I go to work at Lunati, charged with completely re-doing their entire line of cams. Mike is already there, waiting for me, along with Steve Slavik, who worked for me for 13 years (Mike for 19...). Then I meet the corporate world.....
Oct 2004---Lunati introduces the VooDoo cams. And they really work good.....

This has been the line and times of a cam designer, and even with the down sides, it has been the time of my life, and I'm going to stay at it as long as I can.....

Heres more;

Everyone,

Now I've done it........
I am now selling ALL of my previous work from 1980 til now, and into the future.
If you want an original UltraDyne, or one of my Lunati or VooDoo cams, or one of my Custom Camshaft Rollers, or what I may be doing in the future, please give me a call.
I will be getting a new phone number by the first of January, but my home phone number is still 662-562-4933.

Most of the valve train components will be from Lunati, as they have the good Morel lifters, including micro-polished ones, and with oil holes on the faces, and the Pacalloy springs, including the BeeHives.....

Harold was working for Custom Camshaft Company when I bought my custom grind solid roller from him.If I ever need another cam in the future,it will be a custom grind.
Guy
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys , I really appreciate it.

I always liked lunati cams too. I ran one in a 289 I built for my old 63 ford pickup. Sent a couple big block drivers home scratching their heads with that one
Old 09-12-2010, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Guy, for the update!!! I've been away from active racing for about 15 years now, and have kinda lost touch.

Over the years, I had most of my engine work done by A Hines Racing Engines, out of Cincinnati, and they used Ultra-Dyne almost exclusively.

I have talked to Harold and Tim on quite a few occasions, and have been to their shop in Southaven. Harold was never too busy to talk, or tell me about some new profile he was working on...much of which I obviously didn't understand.

Nevertheless, they were real people, willing and able to do whatever it took to make your combination work. In my case, it was a couple of real radical Buick V-6's and a 234 cubic inch, 12,000rpm small block Chevy.

I'm glad to hear Harold is still tickin', and still working. I'm keeping his phone number handy; early next year, I expect to have a street rod together, and will want some kind of 'thumper' for that.

Harold, wherever you are..........THANK YOU!!!

See, Guitar Man, what a wealth of knowledge......and some history lessons too, here at this site?

Last edited by dalesy; 09-12-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

dalesy I too have talked to UDHarold,and I didnt understand everything either,although he did his best to make it as clear as possible.When I ordered my cam from him,he asked for all the specs and what I wanted,and he sure delivered !!!
Guy
Old 09-12-2010, 06:20 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

This is interesting site http://www.harveycrane.com

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.