Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - cam degree
Thread: cam degree
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:22 PM
WrenchingAce

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomo
So im completely confused by all this and it appears i have none of the tools required to do it. Am i really going to be causing problems by just installing it by using the marks on the timing gears?
The chances that you will run into a problem by not degreeing the cam are far greater today that they were maybe ten years ago, IMO. The problem that I have been running into is poor quality control on the timing gears. They can be out by +/- ten degrees - which is a problem that I had on the last engine that I built. The cam and timing chain/gears were from Comp Cams (I'm definitely not slamming Comp Cams but just pointing out that this was not a no name brand cheapo deal). Take the time to either have someone degree the cam for you or have someone help you do it but make sure it gets done. If you want I can tell you the experience that I just had and then you'd really understand but I don't want to write a book at this time.

EDIT: I don't know how to attach different threads on here but search for this thread and it will explain why you should degree in your camshaft:
"degreeing cam, worth it??"

Sorry but I need to edit again...I think this link will work for you: degreeing cam, worth it??

Last edited by speedfreak2; 09-01-2010 at 09:30 PM.