Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - cam degree
Thread: cam degree
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 05:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomo
So im completely confused by all this and it appears i have none of the tools required to do it. Am i really going to be causing problems by just installing it by using the marks on the timing gears?
Engine building is one endeavor that will truely give you a great appreciation for the old saying "Ignorance is bliss". Many engines have been built with no thought given to degreeing a cam. The person doing this has a good chance of being completely satisfied with the outcome of their project whether they degree their cam or not.
There are so many individual parts individual parts involved in an engine assembly. All of these parts are cast or machined by so many different sources that all will be assembled into one engine. Any time a part is made there are specs with a tolerance range that they fall into. This leads to a condition called tolerance stacking. All of these tolerances can stack up or cancel each other out.
The purpose of all these engine assembly techniques, like degreeing a cam, are performed to help eliminate these tolerances & assure that all of the parts you have spent your hard earned money on are working the best they can, in your particular project.
There are some good books out there. One of the first ones I would suggest is the "The step by step guide to engine blue printing". give it a read & see if it helps with this or future engine projects.