Cam for Dodge Dart - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2002, 02:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Cam for Dodge Dart

I have a friend who wants to put lumpy cam in his
'71 Dart. He is running a 318, flat top pistons,9.2:1, 340 intake,600 edelbrock,headers,
an automatic trans, and I believe 3.42 to 3.73 gears. He wants a cam that will barely idle but doesn't want the car to fall on it' face either.
He is thinking about a .501 lift and 248 duration.
Would this be too much? Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2002, 02:43 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Bigger isn't allways better.Take the time to match the cam to all your parts.Haveing a cam that "barly idles" usualy means low vacuum for brakes,HP made high in the rpm range,and low low speed torque.
Also with a cam .501 and 248@050 you will need a stall converter(around 3000+),a carb bigger than a 600vac sec(around 750 DP),a good flowing intake(open plenum to take advantage of the high rpm range).Your compression is prbably too low too unless you had a really light car.And 3.73 would probably be the min gear ratio.
If it has a stock converter I'd say something like 218@.050 if it has a mild converter I'd say something like 222@050.I'd use a libe sep of around 110-112 for street.I'm not a mopar guy so get a mopar guys advise for an actual grind.
A tighter lobe seperation will also give a snottyier idle like 108deg.But makes the car build power quick and drop off rather than give a broad power curve.

[ September 29, 2002: Message edited by: 78 monte ]</p>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2002, 03:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If your friend puts this size of a cam, if it does have 248 deg duration @.050, his 318 will run like a stone unless he uses more gear ratio, at least 4.10s and a stall speed of about 3000 RPM. If he is willing to use lower gears, and buy a converter, he can get by with it, but I would recommend some head work to compliment the cam. Mopar performance has some good grinds, like the old 284-484 purpleshaft, which is the largest cam I would use with this, or contact Hughes cams, they specialize in Chrysler cams, and offer real Chrysler lobes to take advantage of the Chrysler's larger lifter diameter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.