Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cam grind numbers
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cam grind numbers

i have a REED CAMS serial number TM264. grind number is 330 TM264H-TM272H-110A3 it has a duration of IN.214 EX218 @ .050 . lift IN.450 EX.461. running duration IN 262 EX 272. spring pressure open 260-280 and 80-100 closed. lobe centers at 110 degrees at cam. exhaust centerline 116 intake centerline 104. what would this cam be good for and how do you understand what these numbers do for performance? the only thing i understand is that a cam is 720 degrees and the duration degrees are the amount of time subtracted from 720 degrees that the valves are open. I would assume spring pressures are stock spring configuration and the grind number at the end sais A3 meaning 3 degrees advance ground into the cam. what does all this mean for horsepower, how would i understand what this cam could do in different engine configurations? also would this be a good cam for a 305? im guessing that judging by all the things that have been said about lsa and .050 duration specs, this cam is not much for a 383...but much too much for a 305. im trying to get clue how to "understand" application. i have blueprinting skills and have limited machine shop background (not automotive but still mill and lathe and blueprint knowledge) so SOME of these numbers i understand but some i dont. If i understand this correctly, correct me if im wrong, the duration of the exhaust at 218 @.050 with the lift of .461 is max for stock springs because if the lift were more than this the springs wouldnt fully close even at respectable rpm within the camshaft rpm spec. and the same would hold true if you kept the lift number the same and shortened the duration? so whats better, lift or duration? If i were to get some great valve springs would a small duration number matched with high lift be good for a low rpm 305? also the lobe centers i have no clue how that affects any of this. advise, correct and teach me please?