cam hardness - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

well if i had all the knowledge of how these things work, i could probably have a custom grind made special but i woundt know how to conjure up the numbers, all i would do is keep moving numbers around in the desktop dyno i found on the internet untill i found a nice curve. but this melling cam with my stuff looks darn strong so im trying to use it...so i am trying to mimic this cam for lack of know how on picking the right cam. i fed some of the run of the mill summit cam information into the program and they didnt look as strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 10:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

i fed some of the run of the mill summit cam information into the program and they didnt look as strong. ill take some insight but i think this cam's a doozie. feel free to chime in with a good cam for pep and mileage with my setup. occasional towing as well but the boat i tow with my s-10 is a 17 foot fishing boat. got my tahoe for the cuddy boat. anyway blah blah blah my setup is as follows, 1984 305 .030 overbore flattop stock compression height pistons block resurfaced deck height comes out .022, l31 heads heavily resurfaced and the "low hangin fruit" has been been ground away and i went in with a stone and flappy wheel sander just cleaned em up a bit, diddnt lean on er too much. head gasket is .016 compressed thickness. intake is edelbrock 2116 performer dualplane, with quadrajet on top. dont have the exhaust headers yet but they will be 1 1/2 inch primary and the rest of the exhaust will be 2 inch true dual pipes with an H connector with some sort of flowing mufflers and tips dumped before the rear axle. the truck is a 1989 short box short cab s-10 2wd with 700r4 with lockup and a 1978 rear diff from a van with a detroit locker and a 3.08 gear setup. tires are 225-60-16's. i want it to go down the road at 65 with a low rpm, good gas mileage, and effortless stop and go torque. found the duration specs on the illusive merc cam they are 200-212 lift .400-.410 at valve 108 ICL and 112 ECL so sais the mercruiser bible on my base engine, however the lift does not match my actual measurements on the cam lobe. cam lobe measures IN .275 EX .280 giving me lift at .412 and .420. so using the specs given, with the lift i have personally measured, gives me a strong 305 engine with low rpm in mind. however it seems this cam is in question because it doesnt match the specs for the engine i started with. it may not be the factory merc cam after all. it is definatly a gm part though. sais GM30 on it. thats the only number on it accept it has the number 7 on it at the nose of the cam at the distributor end. maybe i should take the numbers that are in the program and have that cam custom ground for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.