cam hardness - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

cam hardness

can a used camshaft that has measurements checked out good, be rehardned to be reused? if so can i get a link? i have a mercruiser camshaft that has lots of life left in it, it was about 500 hours on the clock but the top of the lobe has a touch of shine to it right at the tip. its normal wear but the mic'ed measurements are as required though. its a nice stump puller camshaft and i cant find one like it on the summit website. anybody have any suggestions? ive used old cams before but this engine i have some pride in and would like peace of mind. if i could get this thing recoated for not alot of money i would.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

Roller cam?, if its a SBC merc cam it probably has specs of 196║/206║ dur@0.050" lift with 0.431"/.451" on a 109║LSA, if its a roller Merc cam.

When you pulled it, did you mark the flat tappets so you could reinstall the same lifter on teh same lobes? This is important on a normal flat tappet hydraulic or flat tappet solid camshaft.

The rollers are more forgiving.

All depends what we are talking about here.

peace
Hog
Old 05-15-2013, 04:30 PM

is it a roller, flat tappet, hydraulic or solid. details...
Old 05-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Is it just me or is there an echo in here....?

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 PM

hah! im sorry couldn't hear you to much echo
Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 PM

look up shadbolt cams. they re everything a cam if required
Old 05-15-2013, 10:49 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Crane use to be well known for their re-grinds.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:19 PM

its a flat tappet cam. lift goes like this, IN. .412 Ex .420 on a 110 centerline. i dont know the duration but i woud guess its something like 206-210 @.050. merc is pretty proud of their cams judging by the list price there asking. no i dont have the lifters. this cam would need a new finish or i wont use it. i like merc parts though. i always use boat engines for all my tinkering. mercruiser uses high nickel blocks and steel cranks with healthy cams and quadrajets just to start out with. if this cam cant be sent out and finished/hardned for less than half a new merc cam cost, i will use it for a tire checker or a fish club. 65 bucks for a summit cam so i would pay about 75 to be able to use this cam.thanx vinnie ill be getting in touch with them.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

Merc just costs a fortune just like every other marine part because there are people with unlimited pockets that get into boating.

Q: What do you call a billionaire that buys a boat?

A; A millionaire.

Just get a new cam.

peace
Hog
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10again! View Post
its a flat tappet cam. lift goes like this, IN. .412 Ex .420 on a 110 centerline. i dont know the duration but i woud guess its something like 206-210 @.050. merc is pretty proud of their cams judging by the list price there asking. no i dont have the lifters. this cam would need a new finish or i wont use it. i like merc parts though. i always use boat engines for all my tinkering. mercruiser uses high nickel blocks and steel cranks with healthy cams and quadrajets just to start out with. if this cam cant be sent out and finished/hardned for less than half a new merc cam cost, i will use it for a tire checker or a fish club. 65 bucks for a summit cam so i would pay about 75 to be able to use this cam.thanx vinnie ill be getting in touch with them.
There are places that will do a nitride process on cams. Comp does it by request on their cams, don't know if they do others' cams though. A search for ion nitriding might get you somewhere, but the cost will be more than a new flat tappet cam after shipping, etc.

Personally I'd be worried about using new lifters on an old, freshly nitrided cam. I believe the prudent move would be to replace the cam and lifters w/new parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
1Gary (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Merc just costs a fortune just like every other marine part because there are people with unlimited pockets that get into boating.

Q: What do you call a billionaire that buys a boat?

A; A millionaire.

Just get a new cam.

peace
Hog
its too true to bee funny hog!

cobalt just the thought of putting a used cam in a strong engine scares me. the only consideration i have for using it is that there is nothing close to those numbers over the counter and on a desktop dyno the torque is unbeleivablely flat and peaks out at 2800 rps but still holds on till 4500 R's.. thers no cheap summit cams that even come close. there curvy and peak out higher in the rpm band or they fall off after 3000 rps...on paper. i really like this merc grind...on paper but i wont be using it. a new cam would be less coin than refurbing this one. i would like to find a cam that is like this one only cost effective that doesnt have the merc name on it then. i would be willing to trade my brand new in the box edelbrock P# 7102 for a cam JUST like this one.

Last edited by s-10again!; 05-16-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:59 AM

also before the flaming starts here im not trying to go fast. i like a zippy daily driver type hotrods. no strip time no mouth running just a nice rumble and a feather on the gas pedal gets er goin. i bought a 74 chevelle with so called 400hp 350ci with brodix heads and intake solid cam with 3000 stall. i coudnt even get it to spin a tire. my neighbor who has built a few loved this thing. he had her sideways the day i sold it to him and also ran over 100 mph in a quarter mile. he told me i was to scared of the gas pedal. i had it for 2 weeks and just couldnt stand the rpms just to take off at a red light. i couldnt even make er go fast whene i wanted to. i thought it was a turd. whene i sold it to him and he flogged the gas pedal hard and away she went! it just wasnt my style i guess. the engines most people build to suit them will not suit me.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Living In The Past

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10again! View Post

. i would be willing to trade my brand new in the box edelbrock P# 7102 for a cam JUST like this one

Umm..., you can't find a cam with specs "JUST like this one" , and you don't even know the duration???
Why not make use of a degree wheel and dial indicator to find put what you've actually got and get one made? ... If its THAT critical.

Duke
Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 AM

not to worry i found a melling cam that matches this one. thank you for your insight. thinwhiteduke is it not critical to match my parts to my goals? i have a 308 gear and a 8.9-1 compression .030 overbore 305 with vortec l31 heads and quadrajet going in an short cab short box 1990 s-10 2wdwith 700r4 with lockup. why match all these things then just shoehorn a popular grind into my application? why not get the optimum efficiency for my goals? i would rather pay $150 for this melling grind than 65 for a run of the mill summit one size fits all cam, and thats just what im going to do.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Living In The Past

Last photo:

Sorry, maybe I misinterpreted your query. I thought you were trying to mimick the camshaft that you currently had..

Duke

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.