Cam ideas? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 09:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cam ideas?

Ok i got a 466 fbb and im wondering what kind of cam to use. What degree lift etc. i want to take it racing a few times, sound mean, and take it for a two and a half hour drive to indiana to visit distant family once in a while. Any ideas? Link to a cam youd recommend would kick ***

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 PM

what is your CR,,,deck height of pistons,,cylinderhead flow,,fuel management system,,exhaust system?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:47 PM

73 closed chamber heads redone by ford, not sure exaust system but i know headers, just not what kind, and deck height is a mystery. How do i figure out the deck height? I wanna get that done
Old 07-13-2013, 11:02 PM

measuring deck height

bring piston to top dead center.measure how far down the hole the piston is,in relation to the top of the deck
Old 07-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-ford View Post
73 closed chamber heads redone by ford, not sure exaust system but i know headers, just not what kind, and deck height is a mystery. How do i figure out the deck height? I wanna get that done
Are the heads D3VE casting number? The number is cast into the head just above the exhaust manifold/header flange mounting point, about halfway back from the front of the motor. If D3VE, I believe the chambers are about 95cc's.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:53 PM

Yes thats the code, codes are easy but i dont have the crank or pistons in as of now... I dont even have pistons to go on the rods. And the jack *** with the heads sold them on me and his father couldnt intervien. Otherwise ive got the same but i dont believe they are closed chamber heads
Old 07-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes thats the code, codes are easy but i dont have the crank or pistons in as of now... I dont even have pistons to go on the rods. And the jack *** with the heads sold them on me and his father couldnt intervien. Otherwise ive got the same but i dont believe they are closed chamber heads
D3VE heads are D3VE heads. There is no open or closed chamber variance. The heads have a shelf opposite the chamber to facilitate squish, so match up a piston that has a flat crown in that area. D3VE heads with flat top pistons in a 460 will produce a static compression ratio of about 9.5:1, perfect for pump gas with iron heads. Use a cam something like this one......
Amazon.com: Crane 353932 PowerMax Camshaft and Lifter Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Crane 353932 PowerMax Camshaft and Lifter Kit: Automotive

Here's the catalog specs.....
http://www.cranecams.com/250-253.pdf
Old 07-15-2013, 12:17 AM

From that i saw one that looked fun and usuable, H-226/314-2-8 was the number, its in the first graph. What do you think? And it wouldnt let me read any other info for the amazon link you sent me besises picture price and bad description with no numbers
Old 07-15-2013, 06:28 AM

do you have headers and good intake
Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
From that i saw one that looked fun and usuable, H-226/314-2-8 was the number, its in the first graph. What do you think? And it wouldnt let me read any other info for the amazon link you sent me besises picture price and bad description with no numbers
The camshaft specs are in the PDF file attachment that TechInspector posted.

Quote:
Fair idle, performance usage, good mid-range torque
and HP, auto w/2200+ converter, 3200-3600 cruise RPM,
serious off road, heavy limited oval track, bracket racing:
Street, Heavy; 9.0 to 10.5 compression ratio advised.
226/236 duration @0.050, 108 Lobe Sep, .537/.566" lift

I'd think that you'll want some numerically high (i.e. 3.7x:1 or higher) gears in the diff to run that cam.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
I'm very conservative in suggesting cams for board members here. If you want more cam, buy more cam, but you will need supporting members like a looser torque converter and some shorter gears.

Best course of action would be to get all your specs together, call your favorite cam grinder and ask one of their techs for a recommendation.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:15 PM

cam and gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post
The camshaft specs are in the PDF file attachment that TechInspector posted.

226/236 duration @0.050, 108 Lobe Sep, .537/.566" lift

I'd think that you'll want some numerically high (i.e. 3.7x:1 or higher) gears in the diff to run that cam.
maybe you can explain to me why cams are related to gear ratios? I hear so many members recommend gears to match the cam? I think the gears should match the application of the car?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:40 PM

Important question i have and im pressed for time, will 73-79 maverick spindles fit a 69 falcon? And they are currently set up for drum, can they be converted to disc? Please answer quick if you know
Old 07-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
maybe you can explain to me why cams are related to gear ratios? I hear so many members recommend gears to match the cam? I think the gears should match the application of the car?
Accelerate from a stop, starting out in 3rd gear.

Now do it starting in 1st gear, then shift thru 2nd and 3rd gear. Which causes the car to accelerate faster.?

Unless you only criteria is absolute bonneville like top vehicle speed,
it is critical for good acceleration and overall car's performance that the gear ratio and expected engine operating torque rpm range be well matched to the job.
The higher the camshaft duration the higher the engine wants to rev to make its best expected power and torque . The smaller the engine CID relative to the car weight, the more critical the axle gearing selection is going to be.

The short answer is cammed up engines want to rev up to make power and torque and needs gears to do that and get the acceleration you are after.

Otherwise initial acceleration is less than inspiring. A typical car with a big duration cam and no gear or "hiway gears" takes quite a long time to gain rpm from a stop ,,, to get " up on the cam" Then, it runs hard.

A very larger CID engine is much more tolerant of a big cam than a smaller CID of the same engine family, in a said car weight.
It is one thing to have "400 horsepower" or have "500 horsepower". it is quite another to actually apply the power and usefull power range to go fast and or accelerate quick.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 07-20-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:53 AM

gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
Accelerate from a stop, starting out in 3rd gear.

Now do it starting in 1st gear, then shift thru 2nd and 3rd gear. Which causes the car to accelerate faster.?

Unless you only criteria is absolute bonneville like top vehicle speed,
it is critical for good acceleration and overall car's performance that the gear ratio and expected engine operating torque rpm range be well matched to the job.
The higher the camshaft duration the higher the engine wants to rev to make its best expected power and torque . The smaller the engine CID relative to the car weight, the more critical the axle gearing selection is going to be.

The short answer is cammed up engines want to rev up to make power and torque and needs gears to do that and get the acceleration you are after.

Otherwise initial acceleration is less than inspiring. A typical car with a big duration cam and no gear or "hiway gears" takes quite a long time to gain rpm from a stop ,,, to get " up on the cam" Then, it runs hard.

A very larger CID engine is much more tolerant of a big cam than a smaller CID of the same engine family, in a said car weight.
It is one thing to have "400 horsepower" or have "500 horsepower". it is quite another to actually apply the power and usefull power range to go fast and or accelerate quick.
this is exactly my point!

not all acceleration contests start from the car being at a dead stop.any car that does cornering has little or no use for a deep first gear(drag racing) The lowest speed I have ever come out of a corner was 40 kph,about 25 mph. At 25 mph I would have zero use for first gear.
If I even just do a simple parking lot event,knocking over pylons,I would constantly be shifting gears instead of just using first gear,that is entirely rediculous.
I do use a 3.50 gear,not the original 2.73 gear because 2.73 gear ratio is wrong for my application.
If I raced my car in the 1/4 mile, the difference between 3.50 gears and 4.30 gears " might" be 2/10s.
my cam is not huge but is big 256/264 @.050,it makes peak power @ 6500 rpm. power band is 35-68,if it was drag car then a 4,000-4500 stall for an auto would be correct. As a standard I would launch at 6500,as a road race care I would just slip the clutch and go,same for hill climb.
the 4.30 gears would be useless for road racing/hill climb/parking lot gymkhana,and highway driving.
gears match the cars application

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.