cam installed, car turns over but wont crank. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cam installed, car turns over but wont crank.

What's up I have a lil problem here, I installed a new cam into the car along, with new sprocket and timing chain, tryed to start the car and the car turns over but won't crank, also while turning over the carburator sounds like its missing and throws like a little mist. Also the dizzy was removed and set the rotor to face the 5 o'clock position which is aiming towards the #1 cylinder, #1 cylinder is at TDC , I put like a plastic looking nail into spark plug hole and the piston pushed the nail all the way up upto where it was tight to get out...also rechecked spark plug wires and battery and all the valve are good fit, not too tight or loose.

Help what do I do???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 AM

Ok is it a chevy, or Dodge? if so did you put the dots together on the chain gears if so ti is 180 deg out pull no.1 plug put your finger over the hole and have someone bump the motor over after the compression blows your finger seal turn your crank back to 0 and restab your distributor
Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofny1997 View Post
What's up I have a lil problem here, I installed a new cam into the car along, with new sprocket and timing chain, tryed to start the car and the car turns over but won't crank, also while turning over the carburator sounds like its missing and throws like a little mist. Also the dizzy was removed and set the rotor to face the 5 o'clock position which is aiming towards the #1 cylinder, #1 cylinder is at TDC , I put like a plastic looking nail into spark plug hole and the piston pushed the nail all the way up upto where it was tight to get out...also rechecked spark plug wires and battery and all the valve are good fit, not too tight or loose.

Help what do I do???
You have a lot of potential issues.
Did you line up the timing dots on the timing gears , cam at 6O clock and crank at 12

How did you set the valves

When you dropped in the distributor was #1 on TDC "FIRING STROKE". ( if you lined up the dots as above and dropped in the distributor the engine was at TDC on #6 not on #1. This is a common mistake. Re validate tdc on # 1, both valves should be closed.

Chet
Old 07-08-2012, 03:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Timing chain installed wrong? Dots not correctly aligned?
Dist. in wrong?
Valve lifters have too much preload, i.e. rockers adjusted too tight?

What's the engine? Marks on timing gears for Ford and Chevy are different MoPar, I believe is the same as Ford
Old 07-08-2012, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

okay it a chevy 350 4 bolt main, lined up dot to dot then turned 180 so it would be 12-12 also first cylinder was at TDC I put a plastic nail, and felt the air come out and it ddrove the nail all the way too the top correct right,

What do you mean put finger in spark whole bring to top dead center then bring it back alittle, won't that bring the piston back down a little
Old 07-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I'm confused, you lined up the dots, dot to dot so that would be 12 on the crank and 6 cam. Then you rotated it 180? That would have moved the dots to 6 crank, 12 cam, and would also have moved the piston away from TDC, but not make any difference if it was installed dot to dot, it is what you installed it at...what am I missing here?

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS View Post
I'm confused, you lined up the dots, dot to dot so that would be 12 on the crank and 6 cam. Then you rotated it 180? That would have moved the dots to 6 crank, 12 cam, and would also have moved the piston away from TDC, but not make any difference if it was installed dot to dot, it is what you installed it at...what am I missing here?

I said that I installed it dot to dot (cam 6 crank 12) then I installed the chain, then I turned over the motor so that the crank is at 12 and cam at 12 and lined up the rotor to #1 that's what I don't understand why it won't turn on
Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

If you are sure that the firing order is right (1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2) and #1 is correct, I would loosen all of the rockers until you get it to start then adjust them with it running. It sounds like you may have them too tight.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Here's what you said:

[QUOTE=kingofny1997;1571967]... lined up dot to dot then turned 180 so it would be 12-12 also first cylinder was at TDC [QUOTE]

I'm assuming you did it your way for easier dot alignment?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

[quote=68NovaSS;1572013]Here's what you said:

[QUOTE=kingofny1997;1571967]... lined up dot to dot then turned 180 so it would be 12-12 also first cylinder was at TDC
Quote:

I'm assuming you did it your way for easier dot alignment?
What do you mean, I lined it up cam 6o'clock and crank 12, but if I install the dizzy in it will be firing at #6 cyl , so you have to bring the cam to 12 o'clock and crank at 12o'clock so that now its TDC, I know its the timing has to be off somewhere, because first start was back firing threw carburator and then a little adjustment it stopped the backfiring but still wouldn't turn on, so I have to take the spark plugs out and turn the motor over by hand, and try to keep lining it up till the exact dot but it hard since the timing cover it on, so I put my finger in the #1 spark plug and when the air is completly gone then install distributor and everything else for the crank on
Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

[quote=kingofny1997;1572188][quote=68NovaSS;1572013]Here's what you said:

Quote:
... lined up dot to dot then turned 180 so it would be 12-12 also first cylinder was at TDC

What do you mean, I lined it up cam 6o'clock and crank 12, but if I install the dizzy in it will be firing at #6 cyl , so you have to bring the cam to 12 o'clock and crank at 12o'clock so that now its TDC, I know its the timing has to be off somewhere, because first start was back firing threw carburator and then a little adjustment it stopped the backfiring but still wouldn't turn on, so I have to take the spark plugs out and turn the motor over by hand, and try to keep lining it up till the exact dot but it hard since the timing cover it on, so I put my finger in the #1 spark plug and when the air is completly gone then install distributor and everything else for the crank on
Put your finger over the #1 plug hole and have someone bump the key until you start to feel it push your finger out. Turn it by hand to bring up the timing mark and check the distributor at that point.
It is very difficult to feel the compression if you are turning it by hand.
The other option is to pull the valve cover and watch the valves, when you see the intake open and close it will be coming up to TDC compression. Turn it by hand up to the timing mark and check the distributor.

Chet
Old 07-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Both valves closed, #1 piston at TDC, dots lined up correctly and if you need to, with a long screwdriver, turn the oil pump rod to relocate the slot so the dist is sitting where you want it to be when it drops in, pointing at #1 terminal. If you need to, move it one tooth either way. The dist doesn't care where it's sitting as long as it's pointing at #1 when it's ready to fire. Whatever position you put the dist in, leave enough room to turn it to set timing once it stars. I suspect you're 180 degrees out.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

180 degrees out meaning cam is 6o'clock and Crank at 12
Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
180 degrees out meaning cam is 6o'clock and Crank at 12
You need to rotate the crank until both crank & cam dots are at 12:00. That is #1 TDC. You still need to check with your finger in the #1 plug hole whether it is the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke because each piston is at TDC twice during a cycle. You want the compression stroke.

Last edited by S10 Racer; 07-09-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:22 PM

when the compression hits and blows the seal you make with your finger it is not going to stop exactly on 0 it is still going to go a little past the mark just turn the mark back to 0 and restab your distributor and it should fire up

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.