Cam/Intake combo 283 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 03:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cam/Intake combo 283

I'm building a 283 for my '57 chevy short bed to tow my Travel Trailer. I got a set of Vortec heads and had them shaved .030 to up my compression. What lift /duration cam and intake would you suggest?

Advertisement

Last edited by crtrett; 03-20-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 06:18 PM

I'd stay fairly mild. Most every cam vendor has a cam that's going to be around 204 intake @ .050" 214 exhaust @ .050" and 112* sep. I've had good luck with the bargan brand cams of this nature( elgin, melling, wolverine, ect). I've had great result with this size of cam in a small motor and it behaves as well as a stock cam.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Cam lift w/ Vortec heads

I've gathered that with vortec heads you don't need a lot of lift what would you suggest? Also, what intake?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Maybe pick the cam later. 30 off of the heads is allot. figure the compression ratio then the trans type and the gears.

what is the finall cc of those milled heads? some start as 64cc some start as 67cc, what tis the casting number.

is the block stock or rebuilt. the 283 goes back a long ways, just consider what your putting the heads on, figure the specs into the head cc volume to find compression ratio

then think cam but dont talk cam till you know the compression target, trans, gear and tire.

TJ
Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

Better put a real big radiator in that vehicle and never get it hot. .030" off a Vortec head is dangerous. The decks are thin to start with . Now you will have questionable head gasket seal and an intake alignment/seal issue.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 PM

Basically you are going to have to choose your cam by the duration ad live with what ever the lift ends up being. You say it's a 283 and you're going to tow with it. If you go much larger duration it's not going to be able to to pull your hat off your head. For towing you want your torque to be there right off idle. Sure there are still plenty of big cammed high reving 283's out there but you would not be happy with them pulling a trailer. As far as that goes I would take a bone stock 350 to a big cam 283. I hope your trailer fairly light.
When you figure in cost of parts and bang for your buck I'd put together a 350 with the same cam specs I gave you unless your plan is to an original motor in the truck.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:34 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Just for the fun of it,,,

Here is a great way to use (if so equiped) your old wire loom stands from a 4 bolt perimeter type valve cover when you swap to vortec. Dont thow out your old chrome posts, just hammer em flat and use the bolt holes on the votec head to secure, a bit of fiddling around while you figure out the cam

You can also see the bolt in the post with the old elongated valve cover washer, this helps pin down the header flange
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C10 004.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	72431  

Last edited by Custom10; 03-20-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: i cant spell
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 PM
It's Madness, They are all Mad

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Better put a real big radiator in that vehicle and never get it hot. .030" off a Vortec head is dangerous. The decks are thin to start with . Now you will have questionable head gasket seal and an intake alignment/seal issue.
I think it is pretty standard. Does somebody go around cracking all your vortec heads, or something.

I got mine from a T-bone accident in town. It was totaled. I asked if he would buy it back and sell me the engine/heads. He would have sold me the whole vortec 350 for $450. Nothing special, milled the chambers down to 60cc. That is over .040" off. No problems. I did not upgrade to screw in studs. I am waiting for them to pull out like I was told they would. Whens it going to happen?

My vortec build is also supercharged at almost 10psi. It uses the performer cam, and ls6 springs.

Depending on what you are doing, it is possible you will not want to use even the performer cam. It will soften the low end dynamic enough to notice, depending on gear and stall.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 AM

Compression

Thanks for all the input. Does anyone know what the compression is going to be on this 283 with flat top pistons, the heads are down to about 57 or 58cc near as I can figure (062 head with .030 off)?

Tags
283 sbc vortec rv cam

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.