Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cam/lifter break in Oil
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 PM

Last journal entry: Frame Basics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

break in oil

OK and thanks to all..... so now that I am enlightened about not using synthetics, when I am putting the cam and lifters in, what do I use on the cam bearings at assembly, and the lifter faces(cam contact point) as I am installing these items.

Dave.... that 292 is a neat engine. It has a fantastic exhaust note at 6000 rpm. I have found a set of +0.125" pistons, the next evolution, 320 cid.

FBird, looking at the Moly line up, my choice would be AS65 or AS40 on the cam lobes, and lifter cups and faces, and MolyE on the cam bearings and in the initial oil fill. Many thanks...

Now I need to find the products....CTC, Automotive Warehouse, and Parts Source have NO Moly products at all, the only moly product at McLeod Rd CTC AND Part Source was CTC's own brand of moly hp grease, if they had any of the Moly products, they are well hidden and not in their computers.
I didn't try Jack Dow, I didn't think to go there which is not unusual, Jack was a friend of mine for over 40 years. He was parts manager at a GM dealership called Motorville when got me the long block Camaro Z28 302 CID engine and big block Corvette side pipes that i converted my 65 MGB into a Cobra killer with. Took him for a ride in it from which he emerged a changed man. Thats another story.......but quite truthfully I find it difficult to go to Jacks store, too many memories, he was a great guy. I still miss him. I will try there tomorrow.

My thanks to all for the great info.....thats why I come here...to learn and do it right the first time.

Last edited by 27TRoadsterguy; 07-10-2012 at 05:47 PM.