Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cam/lifter break in Oil
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27TRoadsterguy View Post
I am replacing the cam/lifters in my Chev 292 inline 6. I went to a thread on the forum 2004 date about oil and break-in lubes for engines. The thread centered around the zinc content (none) in the new oils. I cannot find moly in any of the auto stores here. I found 2 GM (additives) one is a Cam/lifter break in lube the other is a new engine additive that can be added to the crankcase for break in purposes. Now, my question, since the lack of zinc is something we are stuck with, I wonder about using Lucas Synthetic oil supplement (since I use mobil 1 in the crankcase) for a cam /lifter pre lube. I do all the good stuff, with engine pre-lube, using a dummy distributor shaft on a drill to fill all the journals and pressurize the oil system.

The attribute of the good synthetic oils is anti-scuff, which why I use it in all my engines with good result. This is the first time that I have built an engine, since my teen age days of hot rodding(i am 65 now) so my knowledge may not be quite up to date. The last engine I built was in 1969, a hot Chev 409, which served me well for 20 years.

Thanks to all.....
Here is a page that may help you.

Good luck.